how low is low

goon

Reaction score
got a 1.8t sport, thinking of 18" wheels and lower springs. is the sport lower than se, how low should i go tosuit 18" wheels. i would like to drop about 30mm, so what springs do i need if the sport is lower than se?

If you have a sport I wouldnt have thought you would get much of a drop on 30mm springs. Someone with an A4 will probably come and correct me if im wrong though :)

goon said:
got a 1.8t sport, thinking of 18" wheels and lower springs. is the sport lower than se, how low should i go tosuit 18" wheels. i would like to drop about 30mm, so what springs do i need if the sport is lower than se?

I had a 1.8T and fitted the Eibach Sportline springs which dropped the car about another 30mm over the sport springs. Currently have these for sale on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....00026539608&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

This is how the car looked
PICT0145.JPG

dropped my sport 30mm with 18"s looks ok

i dropped mine two inch's without a camber kit and it destroyed my tires very quick so my advice is if you lower it 2 or more inchs get a camber kit!

I am going to get my alignment looked at tomorrow to see how it is after fitting the coilovers.

I will probably need one of these camber kits. Where you get them?

Just to follow on from this - I'm looking to fit Sportline springs and Pro dampers to mine in the new year, IIRC the springs drop the car about 40mm all round.

Am I right in thinking the alignment will have gone to **** all the way round? If so is it adjustment by stealer only? I've been told it's a nightmare as the subframe is involved at the front (?). BTW it's a 2WD saloon, no quattro. Unfortunately.

Is there anything else I should look at sorting at the same time (eg ARBs)? The arms on the front are virtually new anyhow (oldest is about 18months old) as they've all already been replaced and I'll be putting new strut top mounts in at the same time as the new springs etc. Haven't changed the ARB drop links though...

Any advice gratefully received! :beerchug: :friends:

This was 45mm front and 35mm rear on my old 18s with lowering springs

Pimpin.jpg

This is 100mm all round (from standard se suspension) on 18s

efewfw.jpg

Looks sweet fella, especially -100mm, are they BBS CHs? Also did you have to have the alignment fettled at all or was it still fine -100?

Looking at the car lowered that extra bit I'm wondering if I should ditch the -40mm springs for something a bit more drastic! What's the ride like?

EDIT: just noticed from your gallery that the wheels are ASAs, not BBS:sorry:

The springs weren't low enough for me and there was still a lot of body roll. I went with fk highsport coilovers and wound them down quite a bit. Im really happy with them no body roll, ride is comfortable enough and the handling is amazing. Speed bumps can be an issue though, but i still want to go lower.

Hope it does not snow at your end or you will be ploughing the roads ..........Thats low!!

Rev-head said:
Hope it does not snow at your end or you will be ploughing the roads ..........Thats low!!

Lol no snow here too near the sea luckily, been through a few deep puddles and the splitter pushes the water right over the car :laugh:

Randomjim said:
This is 100mm all round (from standard se suspension) on 18s

efewfw.jpg

ive had my lower trim on my front bumper keeps dragging off, when i park in car parks with a kerb havent you had this problem?? and mines only lowered by 35mm

In a word yes! The rieger front splitter doesn't help either. Normally try and go out at an angle if its going to be close.

DSC00145-1.jpg