312mm brake conversion

macca

Reaction score
Sorry for asking something thats been discussed quite a bit already, but i'm just putting in a new engine into a A4 1.8T Sport (FWD-1998) i have just aquired, as it has been standing for about a year i thought it maybe wise to replace brake discs and pads as they are fairly corroded, calipers seem ok. While looking at this forum i notice 312mm discs from b6 a4 3.0 Q fit with new caliper carriers, will this setup fit under the std 16 inch wheels? also has anyone seen x-drilled 312mm discs? i was originally going to order zimmerman x-drilled std sized from GSF car parts, but couldn't see any 312mm x-drilled.thanks, hope to meet some of you in the near future.Macca

would have thought that would involve buying quite new parts and work out expensive. you could probably get RS4 B5 parts for the same price or stump up some cahs and get porsche calipers and A8/RS4 discs

jcb said:
would have thought that would involve buying quite new parts and work out expensive. you could probably get RS4 B5 parts for the same price
I got my B5 RS4 front brakes for £120.Straight fit and much better than the 312mm.They look alot better also.

james, what exactly did you get for 120 ?

Im gonna be selling mine soon after the upgrade

cross drilled discs offer no benifits over standard or just grooved discs, in fact i have heard they make them weaker

Olly_K said:
james, what exactly did you get for 120 ?

Im gonna be selling mine soon after the upgrade
I got everything,callipers,carriers,really good discs and pads,flexi pipes,splash guards even the bolts.

thanks everyone for the quick replies, basically i will go down a porsche/AP Racing big brake kit eventually (once larger wheels etc are on car) but in the mean time i was looking at what i could do for not much more money than replacing with std size parts. i appreciate x-drilled aren't always better and sometimes are more prone to cracking, i have used zimmerman in the past on my track day cars and not had a problem when mixed with ferodo ds2500 pads.

where do you get the rs4 setup from, i take these are 2nd hand, whats needed and any mods involved? do they fit under the 16 inch wheels?

I recently paid £250 for a rear set of RS4 brakes (great condition).

rs4 front brakes wont fit straight on a b5. you will need to change hubs etc...
basically for the 312mm conversion you need discs from a b6 3.0q and carriers from any of the following:
s3, tt, golf v64mo, octavia vrs.

while you are at it, if yours is a pre face lift it will be worth getting the new design brake disc shields, they help in wet weather as the b5 has poor wet braking without them.
And yes, the 312 fits under standard 16's.

perfect, spot on, that's exactly what i wanted to know, 312mm discs are the way forward for now, thanks kris tdi.

didn't think rs4's were a straight fit on B5. James0808, what did you need to do to fit them. lots for sale on RS246 as anyone with an RS4 gets a bit nervous when running 500bhp on an uprated motor on stock brakes

aha, well spotted

Quote by Kris_tdi

"rs4 front brakes wont fit straight on a b5. you will need to change hubs etc...
basically for the 312mm conversion you need discs from a b6 3.0q and carriers from any of the following:

while you are at it, if yours is a pre face lift it will be worth getting the new design brake disc shields, they help in wet weather as the b5 has poor wet braking without them.
And yes, the 312 fits under standard 16's."

Will I be able to run the b6 3.0q discs with standard b5 2.8 calipers until I can afford upgrades? Obviously I would change the carriers as suggested above.

johnie72 said:
Quote by Kris_tdi

"rs4 front brakes wont fit straight on a b5. you will need to change hubs etc...

And yes, the 312 fits under standard 16's."

Will I be able to run the b6 3.0q discs with standard b5 2.8 calipers until I can afford upgrades? Obviously I would change the carriers as suggested above.

yes, this is exactly what i have done.