EM TuningChris Nott
    3rd Gear

Status

312mm brake conversion

Sorry for asking something thats been discussed quite a bit already, but i'm just putting in a new engine into a A4 1.8T Sport (FWD-1998) i have just aquired, as it has been standing for about a year i thought it maybe wise to replace brake discs and pads as they are fairly corroded, calipers seem ok. While looking at this forum i notice 312mm discs from b6 a4 3.0 Q fit with new caliper carriers, will this setup fit under the std 16 inch wheels? also has anyone seen x-drilled 312mm discs? i was originally going to order zimmerman x-drilled std sized from GSF car parts, but couldn't see any 312mm x-drilled.thanks, hope to meet some of you in the near future.Macca

2. # ADS
    ADS

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    would have thought that would involve buying quite new parts and work out expensive. you could probably get RS4 B5 parts for the same price or stump up some cahs and get porsche calipers and A8/RS4 discs

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb
    would have thought that would involve buying quite new parts and work out expensive. you could probably get RS4 B5 parts for the same price
    I got my B5 RS4 front brakes for 120.Straight fit and much better than the 312mm.They look alot better also.

Administrator

Status
    james, what exactly did you get for 120 ?

Im gonna be selling mine soon after the upgrade

Big Ron

Status
    cross drilled discs offer no benifits over standard or just grooved discs, in fact i have heard they make them weaker

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly_K
    james, what exactly did you get for 120 ?

Im gonna be selling mine soon after the upgrade
    I got everything,callipers,carriers,really good discs and pads,flexi pipes,splash guards even the bolts.

3rd Gear

Status
    thanks everyone for the quick replies, basically i will go down a porsche/AP Racing big brake kit eventually (once larger wheels etc are on car) but in the mean time i was looking at what i could do for not much more money than replacing with std size parts. i appreciate x-drilled aren't always better and sometimes are more prone to cracking, i have used zimmerman in the past on my track day cars and not had a problem when mixed with ferodo ds2500 pads.

where do you get the rs4 setup from, i take these are 2nd hand, whats needed and any mods involved? do they fit under the 16 inch wheels?

6th Gear

Status
    I recently paid £250 for a rear set of RS4 brakes (great condition).

1st Gear

Status
    rs4 front brakes wont fit straight on a b5. you will need to change hubs etc...
    basically for the 312mm conversion you need discs from a b6 3.0q and carriers from any of the following:
    s3, tt, golf v64mo, octavia vrs.

while you are at it, if yours is a pre face lift it will be worth getting the new design brake disc shields, they help in wet weather as the b5 has poor wet braking without them.
    And yes, the 312 fits under standard 16's.
    Formally a4 2.5 tdi (b5)
    Now Seat Ibiza tdi 130

3rd Gear

Status
    perfect, spot on, that's exactly what i wanted to know, 312mm discs are the way forward for now, thanks kris tdi.
    1998 A4 1.8T Sport - For Saturdays
    2003 VW Golf MKIV R32 - For Sundays
    2000 Peugeot 406 HDi - For when it's raining
    1996 Kawasaki ZX7R - For when I'm late for work!

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    didn't think rs4's were a straight fit on B5. James0808, what did you need to do to fit them. lots for sale on RS246 as anyone with an RS4 gets a bit nervous when running 500bhp on an uprated motor on stock brakes

2nd Gear

Status
    From the pic it looks as though James has a B6 A4.
    2000 Silver Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport Avant
    1998 Nogaro Blue Audi S4 Avant with a few add-ons (SOLD)
    1996 Audi A4 1.8TS with a few add-ons (SOLD)

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    aha, well spotted

Neutral
    Space Invaders Champion

Status
    Quote by Kris_tdi

"rs4 front brakes wont fit straight on a b5. you will need to change hubs etc...
    basically for the 312mm conversion you need discs from a b6 3.0q and carriers from any of the following:

while you are at it, if yours is a pre face lift it will be worth getting the new design brake disc shields, they help in wet weather as the b5 has poor wet braking without them.
    And yes, the 312 fits under standard 16's."

Will I be able to run the b6 3.0q discs with standard b5 2.8 calipers until I can afford upgrades? Obviously I would change the carriers as suggested above.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by johnie72
    Quote by Kris_tdi

"rs4 front brakes wont fit straight on a b5. you will need to change hubs etc...

And yes, the 312 fits under standard 16's."

Will I be able to run the b6 3.0q discs with standard b5 2.8 calipers until I can afford upgrades? Obviously I would change the carriers as suggested above.
    yes, this is exactly what i have done.
    Formally a4 2.5 tdi (b5)
    Now Seat Ibiza tdi 130