Problem with 1.8T Quattro?

A4 Quattro Sport

Top Gear
Reaction score
Hi

Just bought a 1.8T Quattro Sport (180bhp) and i am not sure if it going properly.

On a gentle 30 mile drive to work i am only getting 33mpg. My previous Mk3 Golf GTI 16v could get nearly 40mpg on the same trip.

I have heard of the Diverter valve and Air Mass meters being a problem, how can i tell?

Or is it ok and this is the best economy i can expect?

Dougie.

Sounds about right, best way to check that you have know faults is VAGCOM it also do a throttle body realignment make the world of difference if it has not been done in a while has mine was stuck when I tried to do mine; had to clean it out with WD40 and some finger action to get it working again.

I have ordered a VAG COM cable on Ebay and i think i will replace the DV anyway and clean the TB.

Thanks

33mpg sounds good to me. I was lucky to get 30mpg from my FWD 1.8T.

I must say i am dissapointed with my mpg. Bought the car in Manchester on Sunday and drove it home to Scotland. Only got 30mpg and my dad was in front in his chipped S3 (265bhp) and he was getting 35mpg?

Maybe its just because of the bigger car.

Seems OK to me
we have this model and overall it is getting 29.8/9 running around and 33-34.5 on main road/motorway journeys.
Oh it's chipped as well.
weighs 1445 kgs
used to get 34/35 out of my unchipped S3 on main road/motorway