ECU changed, car wont start, immobilser problem

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Right, changed ecu and car starts but then cuts out. I know the keys need recoding.

couple of questions,

1, is it possible to get the code from my old ecu via vag-com?

2, is the code printed in the car documentation anywhere?

3, if the above fail, is it defo a trip to audi??!

cheers.

Dan

1. not if it's dead
2. It's the number thats 'in' the keys thats put onto the ECU, and it's not recorded on anything that I know of.
3. Not necessarily.

There some pretty detailed instrucions on replacing the ECU on the VAGCOM site

I think you will need to somehow get the keys code... Audi may be able to get this off the key - then re-code the new ecu to match your old keys then you should be away.

Should only take Audi 10 mins to do... but getting the car to them I imagine wont be easy! I hope there is no other damage!

Well after calling out AA, and they wanting an immediate payment of £80 to tow me 18miles i said him "your suppose to be my friend!" he said sorry, 80 or nothing, so i kindly told him NOTHING!

However, i noticed a plastic tag on my serivce key, opened it, found a black panel and tried scratching to see if it would do anything! and it ****** did! it gave me my 4 digit code!

Just waiting for my mate to drop off his laptop so i can recode the ecu.

Thank you to all the peeps who has posted on my last few threads, you have all being a big help. espicially JBOB (rs246) for selling me an ecu and even bringing it to me this morning.

Cheers guys and thank you.

will let you know how the recode goes asap!

you'll be fine then, the 4 digit code means you have IMMO-II.

PI$$ED OFF is an understatement!

the code on the plastic tag belongs to someone elses poor audi and not mine! the chassis number printed above the code does not mach mine yet ive got the tag!!

having another bad day!

S4_dan said:
PI$$ED OFF is an understatement!

the code on the plastic tag belongs to someone elses poor audi and not mine! the chassis number printed above the code does not mach mine yet ive got the tag!!

having another bad day!

Contact Audi UK as your dealer will be unable to help as I have now been told. They will cantact Germany and get you your key code you might have to go to the dealer and produce your Doc's as proof.

You should be able to do this without any keys using VAG-COM. I replaced the ECU on my 1.8T with no problems at all. I know excursion did as well. Do a search on here as it has been covered a couple of times.

Just sat here thinking about this. All you should have to do is code in the ECU to the car as the immobiliser module is in the boot and unaffected.

The key codes are also stored in the dash clocks too. You could get them from there...

Right, got it sorted finally. I dont need the code after aLL!!

With my car having the immo generation II, i just needed to use vagcom to make my ecu a 'virgin' if you like, so when i put my key in and turn the ignition on, it recodes the key!

So im happy a larry (whoever the F*$k he is?!).

but i did run vag com and some faults came up, i cleared them but some came back, i'll post the results up in another thread.

Dan