IS THIS A K03 FOR AN A4??

Daveiow

Reaction score
As the title realy which turbo is thgis, it says k03 on it but not sure which one its for are they all the same ??

Dave

turbo001.jpg

turbo003.jpg

turbo005.jpg

what's the difference ?
can it be made to fit using parts from the existing turbo ?

as above can it be made or does it fit a4's??? Didnt realsie there were different types of k03's

k04 and k03 are two different turbos, k04 bigger and more boost

they also come in longitudinal (a4, a6) 1.8t engines and transverse (a3, s3) 1.8t engines. this is the most important difference the turbo housings are different to fit the different engine layouts.

both are bolt on in place of standard turbo k03 as long as you get it from the correct chassis

so this is as stated above then A3/S3 Turbo then ?? :(

Its nearly new thought Id picked up a bargin, well I did but just not for my A4...

Dave

You can probably use the old compressor housing from the K03 on your car and bolt it onto that one you have there... as long as you know what you're doing :cool:

:biggrin: Fair enough!

You'd be surprised how easy it actually is though... a simple case of approx. 6 bolts... undo them, remove old housing, replace with new. JD.

Obviously if you can get a K04 for the same/similar money then go that route... but you will need it mapped corectly to fully realise it's potential which again, will obviously mean more cost.

Hmm I might look at the swapping the turbos, as this one has cost me next to nothing so may be worth while giving it a go!!

Absolutely, well worth it in my opinion...

Could have yourself a very cheap fix there :smile:

What exactly is the problem with your old turbo? I'm guessing bearings.. ?

Thinking about it, because of the orientation of the A3 turbo, you will have to change the turbine housing too but if it's the bearings that have gone then it's the CHRA that holds them so that is actually the only part you need... just bolt on the correct housings and you're good to go :smile:

Theres nothing wrong with mine at the moment! Just that its probably the original one and as this is nearly new and as I said has cost me next to nothing I thought it would bolt staright on.

But its getting more and more complecated, so perhaps Ill just leave it lol..

Haha, up to you bud.

It's easy enough though... if you're going to remove the turbo anyway then it won't take long :smile:

Remove housings (turbine and compressor) from new turbo, approx. 4-6 bolts on each.

Remove old turbo from car

Remove old turbo housings and replace with new, taking care to clock (orient) them correctly so that all inlets/outlets face the same way as the old ones.

Refit turbo to car

:biggrin:

Lol. Tell you what Ill send them to you to do ..pmsl ;)

Ill ask a mate whos a techy see if hed do it for me, as I dont want to feck up 2 perfectly good turbos..lol

The turbo which you have is off an a3 and is of no use to an a4 at all. Both the compressor housing and exhaust housing along with orientation are very different on an A4 turbo

As you can see in the below pic of an a4 exhaust housing it is completely different to the A3 item
ce_12.JPG

Differences continue with the compressor end

d7_12.JPG

So I am sorry to say there is now way you can use anything on the new turbo, unless the internals are the same

PS I found that turbo on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....80013324740&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

As I mentioned above... you can use the turbo you have but the only way is to use your old turbine and compressor housings off the current turbo...

The CHRA (Centre Housing Rotational Assembly, which includes bearings shaft and both wheels), which is essentially 'the turbo', should be the same for all K03 turbos (except the K03s which has different wheel profiles), i.e. same wheel sizes and therefore same housing ID's. The variances between models are in the different housings used with them for different engine/exhaust/inlet orientations. This is clearly illustrated in the pictures that both of you have provided :smile:

One thing that could prevent you from using the old housings is the fact that they may become 'scored' in the situation where a turbo is being changed because it's bearings have failed. When that is the case there will be excess play in the shaft which causes either or both wheels to rotate off-centre and collide with the housings, causing undue wear on the inside surface and hence preventing the turbo flowing to it's capacity.

I hope that explains in a little more detail what I was suggesting before...

:kiss:

T

lol :jump:

I think you will need a K04-15 for this application :smile:

But for the money (after remap etc.) you may wish to consider a Big Turbo application :rockwoot:

Unless of course you'll be fiting the K04 yourself which should save a few pennies!

if it isn't broken I wouldn't tryto fix it. if you are going KO4 you will need a new manifold and a remap anyway, you may as well go GT28 and do it properly

what car does the k04 come from to fit an a4 then?
i thought it was only the 210/225 bhp s3 tt and leons which had them.

I dont think that the K04-15 comes on any model. It is an upgrade turbo from Borg Warner which uses a k03 housing with k04 internals

Sorry guys Im only going by the limited knowledge I have.. Im going to start buying bits month by month to build a half decent spec engine as Ive finished with the externals of the car, all bar new wheels.

So my plans are/where

New turbo uprated of some sort!
Bigger injectors
de-cat
FMIC
Re-map
Mabey some head work and cams (unsure of this) as im not sure if I want to get that involved.
Re-map

Now I thought the KO4 was a bolt on upgrade and as its not, I dont want to be faffing around with swapping bits here and there.

So ill sell the K03 above and put it towards a new turbo of sorts!

Oh and I will be doing most of the work (apart from the re-map..lol) by myself with the help of a workshop full of audi techs..lol