1.8T oil pressure problem

eastside_valver

Reaction score
The oil pressure warning light is coming on and buzzer sounding at anything over 2000rpm,
there's plenty of oil in it.
The top end is noisier than is was previously,

What is likely to be the problem?

I don't want to do any damage to the engine/turbo etc. by driving it. :(

I had exactly the same problem with my old A4 1.8T, and it turned out to be the oil pump. Had to get it replaced, along with the oil pressure switch, and it was sorted. Oil pump is a bit major though, as i think the subframe needs to be lowered to get the sump off.

Thanks Donald,
I've got someone coming to look at it tomorrow,
As long as it's not terminal,I've only had it for 3 days!:(

only terminal if you drive without oil pressure , parked up no probs until you fix it

dummi said:
only terminal if you drive without oil pressure , parked up no probs until you fix it

Well, having said that, i was driving mine around for about 2 months before i had the fault diagnosed. I had tried everything else, including replacing the oil pressure switch, before i figured out it was the oil pump. It was obviously working but not to it's full capacity. The mechanic said that the other problem was the amount of oil sludge that was on the oil pump pick up was unreal. He flushed the engine out and put fresh oild in and it ran like new afterwards.

You have to keep ontop of the oil changes in the 1.8T engine, to avoid this, i changed the oild every 5k miles after this happened to me.