00 S4 launch

Sayre

Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem when launching at the drag races? I have my S4 at 3000 rpm then let off the clutch and all i get is a chirp then a pause, then it goes.... I know my Diverter Valves are going but would that be the problem?
help! please!

For a decent launch at a drag strip in any car, let alone a 4wd car, I would think you need more than 3000rpm.
Having read many S4 and RS4 reviews, to achive the quoted stock 0-60 times etc you need to pretty much dump the clutch from 6000rpm. Not something I fancy doing mind!

I agree you have to be closer to 5000 rpm to drop that clutch and take off. You just have to experiment with it.

Generally I think people recommend a 3k launch... I did about a 3-4k launch and with my chipped S4 it just ****** off! So much so it shocked me. Having practiced a little I do about a 3k with a slight clutch slip and I get a neck snapping launch.

All you need is for the turbos to be spinning and you are almost certainly gauranteed a great launch.

Oh - silly question - but I assume you turned your traction control off (If you have it... facelift models do)

Cheers,
Leon

Would not recommend dumping the clutch at 5k in an S4 with standard clutch, unless you like the smell of it burning!!

It's trial and error, i'd say u need 4k and ease on the gas from there, 5k would just spin the clutch too much.

Quite right Phantom... even a 3-4k launch I get a little clutch burning smell - probably due to the slight slipping at first.