Engine Rattle?

ukmayhem

Reaction score
Website
www.cruisebicester.co.uk
I have noticed a rattle on my 1995 1.8t sport its coming from the rear of the engine and it sounds rotational stops when u got over 2k then comes back when u let of the throttle and goes back under 2k. Any ideas? Engine has done 132,000miles?

Thanks
Matt

Does it make the noise when you rev the engine and then let it return to idle, i.e. on the overrun? And does it sound like a metallic vibration of sorts? If so then this happens quite a lot with these engines it seems... I have the same problem, have done for quite some time (car now covered 70k miles) as do a few others on here and I had posted some details of my findings on the old forum but it seems the old posts are not accessible yet so I can't give you a link to it.

The noise you are hearing seems to be the wastegate or part of it. I wedged a long ratchet extension bar between the actuator arm and the engine and revved it by hand and when pressure was applied to the arm via the bar it stopped the rattle/vibration.

It doesn't seem to have any adverse effects in my case but it is very annoying, makes the car sound like it's knackered! :(

I will be removing my turbo etc. soon (if I ever get around to it!) so once it is off the car I will have a far better idea what the problem is and will report my findings back here... whenever that may be! :D

T

If it's any help I forgot to mention that mine also makes this noise when I am driving the car under normal conditions... acceleration is fine, lift off the throttle and let it decelerate and the vibration/rattle is immediately evident...

Are there any other symptoms?

I have the same problem, been doing some asking around and am pretty sure its the wastegate actuator on the side of the turbo. Theres a spring of some kind in the drum, and when this goes the gate rattles as you lift off. Unfortunately you can't buy the actuator separately from audi, only a whole turbo. Forge sell an adjustable actuator which can be fitted and set as standard. This costs about 90 quid.