Radar Detection

hooch

Reaction score
My wife drove past a police speed trap on her way to work the other morning doing about 35mph in a 30 zone and the whole time the radar was pointed at the car she heard a beeping noise.

I have two questions..
Firstly how long will she have to wait to find out if she will be prosecuted.

Secondly, how can we find out if we have a tracker system fitted with speed camera/radar detection.

Any ideas?

If you're lucky you may have a laser diffuser. That's the only device I know that would beep only for laser and is completely hidden. In which case you won't get done at all as they won't be able to get a speed reading off the car.
Have a look on the front of the car near the number pate and see if there's a transponder either cut into the bumper or behind the grill somewhere. Also have a look if theres any wiring that runs to the front of the car that looks out of place or new. Will be a thickish black wire (like that narrows it down?)
You're supposed to be able to test them by pointint a TV remote at them and pressing buttons but I couldn't get it to go off, although it has gone off twice with laser traps (and saved me a ban) in the last year.
Bear in mind they are illegal and you are supposed to slow down immediately it goes off and then turn it off manually so they can get a reading at the slower speed.
Does the car beep a few seconds after you start the engine? This is the test beep to tell you the diffuser is working.

where do you get one of these? and how much? regards tony

Thanks for that AndyMac. I've just discovered the two transponders low down in the grill, and after a bit of further searching found the button to switch it off!! I thought the chirping noise that it made every time you started the engine was the computer doing the system check..

What a result!!

I guess that means that the wife will have to make do with the three points that she currently has on her licence......

Wow these look cool!!

I got caught by a mobile unit just over a month ago, if only i had had one of these.

Are they easy to fit? And when the police try and lazer you they just get an error with the 400 system?

Cheers.

My prefered method is hack the copper to pieces and stick him in your boot! hey presto - no points!

The hardest part is mounting the transponder so it looks like part of the car, or is masked by the grill but still gets line of sight.
Then you just run the cable through the bulkhead and wire up the switch so you can turn it off manually. The units do switch off automatically after 5 seconds of getting zapped, but it's better to adjust your speed then turn the thing off to give the feds plenty of time to clear the Error and get a second reading.
Obviously you can be prosecuted for using one, but this is highly unlikely unless you use it to really take the p1$$ and the mobile units put 2+2 together. I've only heard of one guy getting prosecuted and he was zapped 42 times in a month so completely deserved it.
I'm on 9 points so really have nothing to lose, and it's already saved me from a ban and my wife from a further 3 points. (she got her diffuser after getting 6 points from a mobile trap). We also have an RA2 for fixed camera's but TBH I think the diffuser is more useful. All my points are from mobile traps, and you really don't stand a chance, whereas a fixed camera is at least fairly obvious.

I plan to get one of the new laser jammers that is also a parking sensor. I understand these block the laser and do not give an error code. They are well rated by the Speed Trap site that tests all the devices.

I recently got a Bell 550. Absolutely brilliant for spotting active Gatsos,9 out of 10 of which are inactive.

Cheers

Peter

Umm not too hot on Truvelo or Specs though. GPS is definately the way forward for fixed camera's as it handles all of them and anything in the future, is totally accurate (a long as you subscribe and don't put your faith in freebie databases) with no false alerts.

I have an origin B2, it has the laser detector (legal) and the GPS (legal)built in, it also has optional Radar detector(legal and £150 extra) and laser difuser(illegal ) add ons if you want them. I have a spare loom in my wifes car so we just swap the head unit (smaller than a pack of fags) between the cars.
£50 a year GPS update subscription, invaluable when travelling into new areas of through roadworks.
picks up specs truvello gatso lasar etc.

laser detection on its own is pretty pointless though and is soon to be outlawed anyway. You need the laser difuser and GPS for full protection.

AndyMac said:
laser detection on its own is pretty pointless though and is soon to be outlawed anyway. You need the laser difuser and GPS for full protection.
highly unlikely the same way readar detectors were made legal again, it is not ilegal to detect something emitted by another party...its what you do with it,
you have a window of opportunity to brake and not get caught with a laser detector.
no point breaking the law to avoid being caught breaking the law....