new rear brakes

kris_tdi

Reaction score
i have to change both the pads and discs on the back of my motor. when people have done this before have you changed the abs rings at the same time?

right, after closer inspection i just need to change the pads, went to do it tonight, got the old ones off fine, however i have hit a brick wall at the moment, i get get the piston to wind back in, it turns but is just spinning, i suspect that its fully unwound and come of the thread as the pads were so low. anyone know how to get it back in other than taking the caliper to bits?

When I did mine I had to put pressure on the front of the piston and turn it at the same time to get it to go back, I used a g-clamp over the back of the caliper onto the piston, applied some light pressure with the clamp then carefully used mole grips to turn the piston,(Clamp had a floating head alowing it to move with the piston) Hope this helps.

ah thats great, ill give that a go 2moro night see if it works.
i have been turning it with water pump pliers at the moment, probably wont be any good once there is some pressure on it though.
cheers

used a g clamp tonight, took an hour to do both sides including taking the wheels off etc...
cheers for the advise, i now have a driveable can again :)