Turbo noise - 1997 1.9 Tdi Quattro

Holywood

Reaction score
Hi folks - Looking for some help. I have only had the A4 Tdi quattro for about three months even though it is 6 years old. Only has 49,000 miles on it, but in the rev band 1500-2500rpm in every gear whether engine hot or cold there is a very apparent turbo noise which concerns me. I have driven other Tdi cars of the same year, both 2 and 4 wheel drive, and their turbo sound is very slight and hardly noticeable. I took it to my Audi dealer, they agreed there is a noise and checked out the impeller shaft for imbalance, it was OK. An independant guy at an ECU remapping place thought it might be the EGR valve, but clamping the pipe to stop flow made no difference to the spinning/grinding noise. He tinks is may be rpm harmonic dependant and said I should go back to the dealer. The noise stops once I accelerate through the 2500rpm turbo range into the power range of the engine. Anybody else hear this on their car at all?

Hi Holywood

I was worried about the same noise from my car and had it checked out by several people.
The outcome was that the TDI quattro is fitted with a variable turbo for performance and that is where the noise is coming from.

Hello Snarf
Cheers for replying. My car was reg in August 1997, when was yours as I was told that cars from different years have different parts and hence turbo noise?
Where did you find out about the variable turbo in the Q, (were Audi UK and help)as it doesn't mention this as far as I know in the Audi 1997/98 brochures which I managed to get a hold of from ebay. Does your car still make that noise and has it changed or got worse. Has it affected the fuel economy. I'd be interested to know what sort of mpg you re getting ave. Recently mine has dropped from about 46mpg to 40mpg and I am trying to reason it - maybe I'm raking the car too hard! I think there is a vibration noisec from the EGR Exhaust Gas ..... valve, but don't know if that is what I hear everytime I accelerate in the car. I did drive another Tdi Q and the noise was hardly noticeable at all in it - this is what worries me. Is yours definitely the 1.9Tdi 110bhp, or is it the beefier 2.5Tdi. I thought the VTG Variable Turbine Geometry was just on the 2.5?
Regards
Richard