Mutlitronic and towing

dabump

Reaction score
Hey guys, probably not the correct place to ask this question, but maybe one of you had a similar question, or can maybe answer this question. I recentrly purchased a A4 2.0 FSI turbo multitronic.

With my previous manual diesel 4x4, i used to tow my caravan with now problem. I would always tow in forth gear seeing that the fith gear is an overdrive gear and it can be damaged.

If I now want to tow my caravan with the mutlitronic, is there any warning flags you guys can raise for me. Also, the 2.0T mutlitronic has seven gear ratio's. Seeing that it's continues variable, i don't have to make sure I stay in 6th gear ratio, for 7th gear ratio is not seen as the final overdrive gear. Should I tow with sports mode on, to keep the rev's high, or should i tow normally?

Any suggestions? Tips?
Thanks guys, and greetings from South Africa...
Martin

i assume multitronic is "auto"?
your ECU will decide what gear you should be in for the engine load vs. torque vs rpm etc.
i.e. it knows when you are going up a hill in the same gear you where in on a flat and adjusts accordingly

when towing using 5th gear is a good idea. it helps with fuel consumption and wont damage your gearbox.

as for the multibox, you can tow as your would drive normally.

As stated, the car will decide the best gear due to speed, torque and rpm.

So you can still have many happy miles towing your caravan without damaging anything.

In South Africa you probably have less congestion than us but in UK i advise anyone in your situation to take caravan off. Sell it,use money to stay in a nice hotel while we get to enjoy the roads more at bank holidays. no broken gearbox, no 3 mile tailbacks, everyone happy.!

[ QUOTE ]
In South Africa you probably have less congestion than us but in UK i advise anyone in your situation to take caravan off. Sell it,use money to stay in a nice hotel while we get to enjoy the roads more at bank holidays. no broken gearbox, no 3 mile tailbacks, everyone happy.!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif So you don't like caravans then?

Or we could just bomb the A19, A64 and A1079 and build one new superway!!

Plus stop all tourists visiting York. That'll be the better plan!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif So you don't like caravans then?

Or we could just bomb the A19, A64 and A1079 and build one new superway!!

Plus stop all tourists visiting York. That'll be the better plan!

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the A59, the world magnet for Grandad/Grandma drivers doing 40 ****** mile an hour at the weekends

[ QUOTE ]

You forgot the A59, the world magnet for Grandad/Grandma drivers doing 40 ****** mile an hour at the weekends

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont use that road, thats why i forgot about it. but yeah, once past the old golks its the trucks next!!!!