nightmare! got turbo sorted then loads of smoke now wont start! help!

shufti

Reaction score

i bought a 1996 audi a4 1.9tdi 110 bhp with a turbo fault.
vag com only picked up -
exhaust gas recirculation valve (n18) open or short to ground.
i was planning to replace or at least test the n18 and i found a huge split in one of the major hoses. i replaced the hose and i had a working turbo for the first time:).

i took it out for a drive and straight away i noticed lots of black smoke from the exhaust when i put my foot down. not put off as was used to some black smoke (the car has done big miles ) and with a big smile on my face as there was torque so i continued.
the car was fine for about 20 minutes and i was getting good response, i tried to push it a bit harder and i lost power and turbo whistle was noisier. i think it went into limp mode which i have heard about??? i drove home slowly with really bad idling and loads of smoke.

i went to try again last night and it didn't start! tried again this morning and nothing. it's always been on the button.

vag-com now brings up........
01265 - exhaust gas recirc valve (n18) - open or short to ground
00519 - intake manifold pressure (g71) short to b+
00550 start of injection regulation 17-00 control difference

what's happened???
how best to sort this???

any help is greatly appreciated as i'm now in the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif without wheels
thanks

First i'd have a good look around for a loose hose or pipe - especially the large ones in and out of the turbo itself. This would deffo stop it starting and explain the increased whistling.

thanks for the reply

checked all hoses around turbo, n18, n75 etc and everything is in place as it should be.

any other suggestions?

i've been hunting on the web and found the "00550 start of injection regulation 17-00 control difference" fault code could to relate to my cold start injector n108. could this have been damaged when the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif hit the fan?????

it doesn't sound like any fuel is coming through when i try to start!

please help!!!!!

could fuel pump or pump relay be knackered? could this have happened at same time?

if you think so can you give me pointers into locations and ways to check?