Battery removed, alarm now active, no remote to disarm :(

jrleech

Reaction score
REALLY pi$$ed off now...

Spent all day in my garage with the clay bar cleaning my car (looks good). Finished that, took the battery out to clean the blocked drain hole beneath it, and on re-fitting the battery the alarm/immobiliser armed itself (as they do).

Problem is, the useless waste of space garage that I bought it off 2 weeks ago told me the alarm didn't work, so they'd binned the remote.

I've disconnected the siren, so at least I don't go deaf now, but the car's going no-where.

The alarm appears to be an Audi fit, the siren has "VW/Audi 998 VAG 146" on the bottom, and there's a sticker in the rear windows with a code "4D0 010 138E".

Is there any chance Audi will be able to supply me wih a new remote for the alarm, or am I going to have to pay an auto electrician to come out and remove it (or fit a new system)?

Thanks,
Jon

Has your car got the flashing red LEDs next to the door lock pins on the front doors? If it does then you have the standard Audi alarm and it should deactivate when you unlock the car with the key in the lock.

No, there's just one red LED on the dashboard. Locking and unlocking with the key has no effect on it.

Guess that means it's not a factory fit.

Looks like I've no choice but to call someone out on Monday and get a new alarm installed.

Thanks,
Jon

I had alarm issues recently and had a few quotes to have a new alarm fitted. They can generally remove/disable the old one.

There are alot of companies that will for a new alarm at your home/place of work.

Can be as little as £200.

At least the new Alarm/Immobiliser route I get a certified alarm with remote central locking.... Getting tired of using the key /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks,
Jon

Don't blame you, depending on how much you want to spend, you can also get remote engine start for those cold winter mornings. :)

Just don't leave your car in gear. :)

Is yours a pre-facelift model - with orange/red tail lights??

It may well have been fitted with a different alarm from the 97> A4's?

If the siren has an Audi code on it It is worth giving them a call to see if they can sort out a new remote for it - although it may well be a lot cheaper to get someone out to fit a decent cat 1 alarm system than it is to get Audi to supply a new remote

Mine's the facelift model (2.8 30V).

My local Audi dealer hourly rate is huge... I'd gone in for a new key and they said £45 for the key, plus half an hour to code it which they wanted to charge £55+VAT !!!

I was going to fit one of those remote upgrade kits from VAGParts, so I'm pretty certain the saving from that, plus the charges from Audi would easily pay for a decent Cat1 alarm....

Might save me a few quid on my insurance too.

Thanks,
Jon

Is the car also immobilised ? What happens if you try to start it ?

What year is it ? Some vag alarms are easy to recode the alarm fobs on, just get a new fob on ebay. It is of course quite possible that the alarm is faulty.
What sort of key do you have ? I take it it isnt a flip key with buttons and the pop out key ?

Hi...

Yes the car's immobilised. When I turn the key all the lights come on but the engine won't turn over.

The car's a 1997 (manufactured 06/97).

The key is just a 'traditional' key with a button press for a small light. No remote. There's a small transceiver chip (capsule looking thing) in it for the built in security.

Cheers,
Jon

I'd go for a replacement Jon, rip out the old and start again.

Saving money on the insurance has got be a bonus.

Good luck.

Thanks...

Phoned a couple of local installers today and it sounded like it'd be towards the end of the week before they could fit me in....

At least it's in my garage, and gives me a chance to polish it properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,
Jon

That sounds like it *IS* the factory fit alarm for a 97 car.

A remote fob can be programmed quite easily. I cant remember for sure, but isnt there a light somewhere that flashes to tell you why its going off, you count the flashes or something?

But if youve only had it two weeks I would be asking the selling garage to pay for sorting this, Throwing the fob away isnt a solution to an alarm problem.

Is there a decent auto locksmith near you ? They can sort things out OK. Not sure that it will be straightforward to remove the factory fit alarm/immobiliser.

Hi, thanks.

It looks like it's possibly dealer fit, as it's on top of the standard built in immobiliser/alarm (that chirps the horn when you lock the doors).

I'll certainly be trying to get the garage to pay towards getting it sorted...

Thanks,
Jon

Lucky it went wrong so soon after you got it as at least you may have some redress, and the car is in your garage not stuck in a carpark somewhere.
Sounds like the alarm is isolating the starter motor, so if you find where the starter solenoid feed wire has been cut and reconnect it you will be mobile again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Took the alarm guy about 3 minutes to disable it!! He reckoned someone who knew what they were doing and didn't care about damaging panels could do it in 1 minute.

It's now stripped out, and a decent CAT1 alarm installed.... now have remote central locking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,
Jon