1997 Audi A4 2.8Q - advice needed

tok2850

Reaction score
Hi all

I have read throug a few posts on people who are buying these or who have owned them and have taken down the pointers on what to look out for....so thanks for that :)

The question I have is what are they actually like to drive? I am looking at one for £4.5k with 77 on the clock, no extras, blue with cream leather, FASH
I heard they are like 193bhp which I was shocked to hear in comparing to the spec of the car?? so is it sluggish to drive? I moved from a very nippy car and really majorly had to downsize, but downsized too much to a 1997 2.0l Volvo V40!!! and cant deal with that any more so looking for something around £5k that will ideally take mine in....this seemed like a good bed for the price and the interior seems to give that sporty feel that you need...not sure what else it can be at this price?? S4 would be great but just out my reach...

Any advice would really be appreciated as I aim to look at a few tomorrow, or any other models people recommend.

Thanks and looks like a great forum, hope to be participating soon :)

( LINK TO ADVERT )

docurley is selling a 300bhp supercharged 2.8q a4 for 5 grand.

that would suit your needs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

same age as that one in the advert you posted too.

Not 300bhp I'm afraid but with a few extras you should see around 270-280bhp. The car is running around 250bhp+ mark, and was rolling road to 240bhp but they only took it up to 5500rpm and this thing redlines at 6500rpm and was still making power.

I've recently bought the same car, a 97 2.8Q with the sportline kit. 193bhp doesn't sound much for a big car, but they're pretty quick.

Last weekend I followed some friends from the MR2 club down from the north west to the south east corner of Wales (via the non-motorway route) for a wedding (my MR2 is being resprayed so went in the Audi).

Even though I'd got 4 people, I kept up with the MR2's. On sweeping corners, I could keep up no problems, on the twisty ones then the constant changes in direction were a bit much and the body roll made it feel uncomfortable to keep up. In a straight line, I wasn't far off the MR2 turbo, against a non-turbo the Audi is clearly faster.

Not sure what the Audi would be like on the tight twisty bits with new suspension etc...

It's a mighty fine car.... very pleased with mine, though I can tell I'm going to spend loads messing with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Cheers,
Jon

Thanks guys, I have seen docurlys for sale and did like it but need to trade mine in ideally as I dont have the money to fund the full 5k at the moment. If I sold mine and then had the money then fair enough. I was ideally looking for a dark colour, but for something like that spec I would not have a problem having silver, it does look very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the feedback Jon it certainly makes me more confident, it really does seem like a great base car..

Thanks

KD

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry what is the sportline kit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely sure, but I think it gave you lowered sports suspension, sports seats, a fancy steering wheel and some nice S-Line badges.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry what is the sportline kit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely sure, but I think it gave you lowered sports suspension, sports seats, a fancy steering wheel and some nice S-Line badges.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're in the wrong forum, I think. S-Line only came in on the B6 chassis.

[ QUOTE ]
You're in the wrong forum, I think. S-Line only came in on the B6 chassis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the right forum.... if that's true, then I guess someones added S-Line badges to the car. It is effectively the S-Line spec, as it's got the sports suspension, sports steering wheel, sports seasts....

Cheers,
Jon

It's not a car that feels quick even though 0-60 of 7.2secs is respectful even today.
You have to thrash it to get any feeling of speed, at 5k revs it really pulls, get the gear wrong and it goes nowhere, have to change down on the motorway at 70 to get it going. It's a fast cruiser rather than sporty, S4 is obviously the sporty one.
TBH you'd be better off with a 1.8TQ if you want sporty, far more tuning options as well

To me, a sporty car is one where you have to drop a gear or two and rev it to go fast.... and also one that has a nice sounding engine. The 2.8 V6 scores on both counts, so I'm happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Having a car with so much power that you can floor it at 2000rpm in 5th and be pinned to the seat isn't something that appeals to me.

I'm happy with my 2.8Q although fuel consumption is something to be desired i must admit. And although it's fast it could be faster, but then once we're used to something don't we almost always want the next up in the chain?!?

LOL.... Did a 350 mile round trip throigh wales at the weekend, averaged 32mpg, well chuffed.

Done loads of short ~3 mile journeys since filling up this time, averaging 21mpg.

Ah well, it's worth it for the engine sound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It's a fast cruiser rather than sporty

[/ QUOTE ]

Andymac is spot on, (as ever).

I've just recently sold a 2.8 Quattro after three years. It was not a particularly sporty car, even though it did have the sports suspension. You have to remember, there's a lot of wieght out there ahead of the front wheels, so agile & twisty it's not, but it is immensely sure-footed & planted on the road.

Mine was an automatic (5-speed tiptronic), and suffered from two handicaps, the gear ratios were too high & too widely spaced, and the box could be quite slow to react to down change commands on kickdown in full auto mode Tiptronic changes were better. What this meant that although ultimately there was plenty of power to make it quite a fast car, there were times when the power was a bit hard to access. Once you've learned where the power is and how to make best use of the gears, it becomes a pretty swift mile-eater and overtaker.

And yes, I agree, that V6 sound (noise is too vulgar a word for it) knocks the four-pots to hell.

have to agree, my 2.8Q (MY2000) is awsome, i find the 193bhp to be enough to put a grin on my mush! i even managed to squeze 145mph on a private road office, honest) out of the beast on a recent trip up north (too look at the S4 that i'm picking up on saturday!) and yeh it sounds gorgeous, even with the standard zorst is wicked, stick a Miltek on there i imagine it'd sound immense!

I had the pleasure of driving round the mighty Nurburgring Nordesleife last year in my 2.8 and it was great fun! yeah we were getting blown away by clio's and diseasel things left right and centre but that would've happened if i'd been driving an aston cos i didnt know the track as well as them.

bottom line, its a wicked car, and definitely fast enough to be fun!

Well I must say the comments above sum it up perfectly!! I drove one today (which was the one in the link above, and put a deposit down as still waiting for the V5 to come in on the Volvo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

It was a tiptronic auto and was a vaste improvement from the volvo I went up in so was pleasantly suprised, I was infact expecting less power so was happy with what was being delivered. I very smooth cruiser I must say. On the test drive I didnt have enough knowledge of the gearing to overtake on a single lane as I didnt have the confidence I would make it through without the oncoming car planted in my windscreen!!

The comfort was spot on and it was nice being a solid feeling car, I love the seating position, stearing wheel and the console of the quattro, gives you a very sporty feel to it. Without upgrading I would aslo agree twisties is not where this car is at its best.

The car is on 75,000 miles had full audi history, 2 owners and serviced every 10k with timiing belt changed at the 72,000 mile service. I saw on previous posts that people suggest replacing the waterpump at the same time, so should I do this as a seperate item now? I was looking for one with a Bose, Sunroof & heated seats but those wishes werent granted, however they offered a good trade in on my volvo and the mechanics/the car felt solid. The seats were a bit tired and need a bit of work, apart from that spot on....even though I am on a tight budget I would love to put the RS4 (I think, need to understand the audi wheels and sizes that look good, seen them on audis but dont understand which ones are which and sizes and if the car needs to be lowered to fill the arches or wheels are enough), would like to chip or just possibly unleash a bit more power if possible

Overall very impressed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

phew have RSI after all that typing :)

I'm just in the process of ordering a full Eibach setup (shocks, springs, anti roll bar)... I'll let you know what it's like when it's fitted...

I'm going to swap my 16's for 17's when the tyres have worn down, anything bigger than that (especially with stiffer suspension) will probably kill the ride. I like the S4 style alloys seen on Ebay for £260... but I've not had a good hunt yet.

Chip a 2.8Q and unleash an additional 5-10bhp!!!
I wasn't having a pop at the 2.8Q, I've had mine for 7 years now and still love it.
I just find it a bit lazy.
"bottom line, its a wicked car, and definitely fast enough to be fun!"
That'll be why your upgrading yours to an S4 then!!!

oh right all of 5-10!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I tried looking at a few 1.8Q but they were above my price range or were private sales with high miles, and knowing the condition of my volvo it wouldnt have sold for much privately so the only route was find a dealer to offer something half decent, a few friends have the A3/4 TDi's chipped and was very impressed with the power but with my limited budget and trade in issue it just wasnt happening, I understand the 2.8Q is more a cruiser than a performer, like I mentioned I wouldnt feel comfortable overtaking cars with limited time to make it through...I need a car for another 8 months and that driving is mainly motorway trips to work so having the comfort and ease of power on these 2.8's makes more sense......i hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's also pretty indestructable. Mine has done 145k miles, original exhaust & original clutch and the engine's never missed a beat.

Good to know!!

I was about to order all new suspension etc... but after realising I'm not going to see any change from £1500 (shocks, springs, ARB, front suspension arms, rear bushes & fitting), I've decided to wait a while... Add to that £700 for some new wheels, £150 for discs/pads and £400 for an exhaust, it's a bit much on a car not worth much more than that (especially one I've only had for 2 weeks). Think I'll just drive it as is until something breaks, then replace bits.... If I'm going to spend £3k+ on it, I'd be better selling and buying one for £7k!

Cheers,
Jon

good point, it certainly can start adding up once you start, and then like you say you are on 7k which is not far off an S4..

I think I will only change the wheels to the 17 or 18" RS4 (I think they are) I have always loved the look of the audi with these wheels, and I think leave it there unless there is a affordable upgrade worth doing that makes a noticable differance....unlikely I know..but hey...

Certainly good to know they are solid cars, and in fairness after driving teh estate volvo, test driving the audi did put a smile on my face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks, and silly question but is it 8j x18 and what size width tyre works best?