Mirror Glass not heating

doeboy

Reaction score
My offside heated mirror didn't work so i ordered a replacement from ebay, turns out its been used and they're VW mirrors, yes same group i hear you say but the connector for the heating element is different its about half the size. When changed the heating did not work on said mirror.

Anyone else come across this? Should these smaller connectors still work? meaning it's possible the wiring or something else is a-miss,

I don't want to pay for another mirror and find that it's the wiring thats knackered!

use a multimeter on the mirror.... its just a circuit, and resistance in the wire causes it to heat and warm the mirror...Check theres a circuit...if there is, the the wiring is at fault!

Took it to my dads this morning where he checked it over.

Current fine to Mirror wiring, Low resistance on the mirror that was considered faulty, so that’s pretty much knackered! Ordered a pair of an illiterate idiot from ebay, one is open circuit so knackered and the other again is low resistance! He sent me another one today but I don't hold out much hope! I shall just order from vag parts I think!

If it is open circuit try sticking it in the freezer for 5 mins as they have a temp switch fitted to them so they aren't on all the time.

Open circuit means there is a break in the circuit so current will not complete the curcuit.

The ampage was tested from both mirror connectors and was the same. so it really looks like its the mirrors! Mine had gone and the second hand one i bought was duff also. By ordering one from a vag dealer it should work!

The open circuit mirror is caused by the temp switch on the back of the mirror glass - when it is cold enough it will close the circuit and switch on.

Ok we'll see tomorrow. Still doesn't explain why one was working and the other not. The plot thickens!