painted mouldings

ImportRacer

Reaction score
I have a 97 A4 and I'm debating whether or not to paint the lower door mouldings and the front and rear bumper mouldings. If anyone has a silver A4 with those painted, can you post a pic up so I can get an idea of what it would look like? Thanks.

I have a silver A4, but can you paint those? they are more of a rubber type material aren't they? Maybe I am thinking of the wrong ones being rubber though. It would also take a lot of work I think to clean them up so the paint would go on good. It may not stick too well. When I got my car the dealer had armour all all around the bottom to make it shine and I know for a fact that stuff is hard to get off and paint over. The door jams on my honda civic wouldn't take the paint too well because armour all had got on them.

It is possible, any reputable bodyshop will use a special bodywash solvent which is specifically designed to remove the silicon, waxes etc. Even more crucially they should use a special etching primer for the plastic.

Be warned though there are some very dodgey bodyshops. As I discovered with my local VW/Audi/BMW APPROVED bodyshop. It took them 4 attempts to paint my S4 bumpers the correct colour then with no defects then to repair the damage they caused to the wing and roof of my car then by compensation I foolishly asked them to re-spray the stone chips on the bonnet that took 2 attempts until they got the pin holes out of the lacquer generally caused by not removing silicone / waxes correctly and all this took 4 weeks!

So make sure you have it in writing before you have the car taken in that

A. You walk round the car with the foreman and sign off on all existing damage, jsut as you would with a hired car.

B. If you are not happy with their workmanship then they will make good.

C. It should come with at least a 3 year warranty

C. If you don't know good paintwork from bad take someone that does.

I was amazed to find my friends recent purchase had been independently inspected and approved by a major auto association with no prior body work. I noticed immediately that the rear bumper had been resprayed. He's now seeking compensation!