Starting problem

Verve

Reaction score
I've got a HUGE problem on my 2.8 A4 '95 . When i turn the key all the light's and fuel pump comes on but the orange light (car with key flashes )
then when i start is runs for a sec or two and dies ... trying this a couple of times the light goes out and it start's .
Started a while back and tried everything any one had the same experience or does anyone have a solution ?

Please help !!!

I had a simular issue, it was a fault with the immobilzer chip in the key!
Basically I had to go to Audi and get a new key ordered and then get to to reprogramme the new key again, so it could start the car. Cost me about £150 for new key and programming.

They may be able to reprogramme the old key, but unfortuantly mine was properly busted, it never actually started car

I had this problem, very annoying

I had the ignition barrel replaced which instantly stopped it happening (£80) If it had`nt worked I would have to have gone the same route as 'Mart'

i had a similar problem recently with my 2.8Q .. VAG-Com showed an imobiliser error with "signal low" so i took one of my two flip keys apart and took the batteries out.. looked at em for a while, put em back in and put key back together and voila no problem since, might be worth trying to replace the two little watch batteries in your key, i've had no prob since!

i thought i was gonna be looking at a new key for mucho dinero from a main stealer but so far so good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My 2.8Q did this for a while last year (using both keys). Had to insert the key slowly then leave it in the ignition for a few secs before starting and that seemed to work. Problem then went away and I haven't had it since. Thought it was an ignition barrel/reader issue after searching through the posts on here, and there was a DIY fix for it in one of the posts, but I never got round to doing it.

Ignition is a common problem - theres an electrical rotary connector on the end of the barrel that breaks.

Also the imobiliser pick up can fail.

Its fairly easy to get the barrel out and if the switch is faulty it should be obvious (have you noticed getting the key in and out becomming more difficult ?