Abs sensor removal....

I removed my front ones a while ago to refit them after fitting my coilovers.

They can be quite stiff and i think some break when removed. My mums fiesta ones did.

So just pull and twist them.

How come you want to remove them? Your ABS cutting in at times?

Dan they are held in with a springy tube that goes around the body of the sensor. They are a push fit. Trouble is they get covered in crud and seize up. It can be hard to remove them without damaging them. You could try a wee tap with a hammer to break the seal before pulling. BTW I'm pretty sure you can disable the ABS by pulling the ABS fuse - so if you get stuck needing a new sensor you can at least drive the car, but with no ABS.

I had to replace two sensors on my old B5 1.8T and they aren't cheap - I think about £100 a pop IIRC!

have you checked the resistance of them ? access the connector blocks under the rear seats for the rears and remove the rubber grommet in the inner panel for the fronts.

on a standard quattro (and I assume an S) they dont use reluctor rings in the disk on the rear but its part of the the outer cv joint (like on the front) . Lots of problems caused by corrosion and cracked rings. I found it impossible to remove the sensors, but they all checked out electrically (oh yeah - have you had vag-com on it ? that can identify which wheel is causing the problem - but not if its the reluctor ring). have to remove the cv joint to check it.

[ QUOTE ]
(oh yeah - have you had vag-com on it ? that can identify which wheel is causing the problem - but not if its the reluctor ring). have to remove the cv joint to check it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, had vag com on it. Only fault is EGT Sensor.

So probably down to an ABS ring somewhere?

Looks like a process of elimination!!! THink I'll start at front wheels.

If a sensor is faulty, would it definately show up on vag-com?

Dan

I think so. Vag com will let you monitor the individual wheel speeds - up to 20mph or something its in there somewhere.

If you have access to an osclloscope you could jackup a corner at atime, put the scope on the sensor and spin the wheels. the good ones will give the same pattern (sine wave sort of thing). would save a lot of dismantlinmg.

aiui the b5 has passive sensors, they generate a voltage as the reluctor moves past. later models have active (powered sensors)

How do i remove the rear seat? seems to fixed in place with very little movement or indication of where the catches might be.

Also, is it possilbe to use a multimeter instead on an oscilliscope? If so, what voltage / resistance settings should i be using?

Dan

I cant remember and the mrs is out in it at the moment. (weve had two B5's and the rear seats are different in the earlier >97 ones) I think it just pulls up ?

you can use a multimeter to check the resistance of the sensors, but I dont think you could detect a broken reluctor ring without seeing the trace.

our problem started with sometimes at low speed the abs came on for no reason, gradually got worse to the point that it always came on at low speed (thats when I pulled the fuse and drove around with the flashing lights on the computer)

when the rear cv joints came off there was a big crack in one of the reluctors. Its quite common apparently.

But If you just bought this why arent you going back to the dealer with it ?