Aircon problem?

cb123

Reaction score
I've got a year 2000 Audi A4 V6 petrol, I recently did a rad flush and noticed that when I was running the climate control on its hottest setting in the car to try to fully circulate the water that the auxiliary cooling fan was running the whole time - even when I'd just refilled with cold water and the temperature gage was at absolute minimum. The rad fan doesn't seem to running full blast like when the rad water has reached its upper temp limit - this seemed to be more what happens when the aircon is switched on, the problem being aircon was off. I also noticed condensation on the refrigerant pipes and quite a lot of condensed water dripping out under the car - all the while aircon is apparently off and hot air coming from the vents in the car. I've also noticed a hissing noise that fades out after maybe 10 seconds when I turn the engine off, and that it seems to be using a lot more petrol even when idling - suggesting the aircon compressor maybe running all the time. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated...

was the "ECON" light illuminated on the climate panel?
I feel a right muppet now, no it wasn't. At least I've got the excuse of being new to Audi's... Thanks for the help, just wish all my car troubles were as easily solved!

Yeh.

The A4 basically runs the AC all the time, unless you enable ECON, which shuts it off.

So even if your wanting hot air, it cools it first (which dries it) then heats it back up again!