Work in progress pics (large download)

excursion

Reaction score
Website
www.mwstewart.co.uk
Been busy getting my recently aquired turbo sport up to a spec I want.

Here are the new wheels I purchased from Daniel (RS4Wheels) on Friday night. The car will be lowered soon, it's currently sitting on brand new OEM sport suspension and all new front control arms. I like to make sure everythings tip top before the power starts going up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
P0001636.jpg

P0001637.jpg

I stripped out the interior yesterday and thismorning. I've been busy shampooing the carpets and all the trim, and hired an industrial wet-vac which I used to suck the water out. I've taken the dash out so I can fit the later dials; late type DIS, rear electric windows, and retro-fit climate control:
P0001638.jpg

P0001639.jpg

Engine shot. I've cleaned everything and replaced the engine mounts. Although they were fine at 52k miles, I want to be sure when I start on the engine work:
P0001641.jpg

All the trim in the boot:
P0001642.jpg

Seats nice and clean:
P0001643.jpg

Late spec dashbaord which is the donor for the cliamte control, and all associated wiring:
P0001644.jpg

Air conditioning compressor and associated pipework:
P0001645.jpg

My dashboard:
P0001646.jpg

Things still to do:
Modify RS4 front bumper to fit
Fit S4 rear and side skirts.
Lowering
Fabricate an exhaust manifold and system using S4 parts
Porsche brakes

I'll post more pics when I've progressed further /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hi Mark, It's already looking great! Can't wait to see your car when it's fully finished. P.S NICE WHEELS!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cool as we done a simular thing as what your doing to our demo van a corsa stripped that and rebuilt to car spec, ill be build kick builds and door build but i want to get them painted so they look like the black trim of the s3

Haven't updated for a while, but i've got a fair bit done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Climate is all in and running, just need a recharge now:
P0001754.jpg

Had a choice of climate units but decided on the very latest version in the end, as the illumination is better and it will match the nav unit.

96-97 left, 97+ right
climatecomapre_9697_1.jpg

96-97
climate96.jpg

97+ unit
climate97.jpg

You can see there are only very minor differences, but the 97's illumination is much better. I decided on neither of these and went 99+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Got a full standard S4 exhaust to go on. Will need a bit of modification, but once on will give me much less restriction yet retain standard levels of noise. which is nice

s4exhaust_1.jpg

s4exhaust_2.jpg

Finally the exterior is looking more how I'd like it, got the s4 sides on and painted. Front RS4 and rear S4 bumper still to come, and possibly a small window spoiler like this:

i-1.JPG

Front:
front.jpg

Side:
side.jpg

SAFE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

looking good...

has everything gone back on well ? no vibrations or problems ?

you are obviously pretty well at home doin this stuff, I would not dare !!!

what year is your t sport ?

[ QUOTE ]
Fraser said:
looking good...

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything has gone back in as it came out, if not better. I've had every piece of trim off and scrubbed it witha brush and fairy liquid, and shampoo'd anything that's material (doorcards, A pillars etc). The dash was a little tricky, I went around with a ruler measuring gaps until I was happy and bolted in place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It is a 1996 on an N with FASH and a genuine 54k miles. It's now as the 2000 spec minus a few things. Next up is 300BHP.

very good looks nice, i did fancy doing that sort of thing my self but gave up and just got the s3 instead on doing a a4 mod job

Hi Excursion,

I drive a S4 and am looking to have the RS4 bumper fitted, so would be interested to find out where you purchased it from and if you don't mind, how much have you paid for it.

I would also be interested to find out what adjustments have been done/to be done in order to fit this to the T sport.

Many thanks

Hi mate,
The bumper was between 500-600, I can't remember exactly because I got it along with a load of other parts. I got it from www.vagparts.com email martyn@vagparts.com and say Mark Stewart put you on to him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To get it to fit the sides of the bumper have to be heated up and bent to the shape of the wing, once the right shape is achieved a piece of metal is riveted in place to keep it there. Sounds like a bodge job but it isnt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Image-2D9FE0C6BC8211D7.jpg

Image-2DA0AFB8BC8211D7.jpg

Thanks mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
[ QUOTE ]
Fraser said:
looking good...

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything has gone back in as it came out, if not better. I've had every piece of trim off and scrubbed it witha brush and fairy liquid, and shampoo'd anything that's material (doorcards, A pillars etc). The dash was a little tricky, I went around with a ruler measuring gaps until I was happy and bolted in place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It is a 1996 on an N with FASH and a genuine 54k miles. It's now as the 2000 spec minus a few things. Next up is 300BHP.

[/ QUOTE ]

only 300bhp?

[ QUOTE ]
Wando said:
only 300bhp?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a rough estimate, I'm limited by my T3 more than anything at the moment but When funds allow i'll get the t34 sorted. Still waiting for the manifold to arrive from the states though.

Only spoken to Jabba so far about getting a program done, will be ringing AmD and others soon to find out what they can do for me.

heh, thought so. Going to do a bit of math and work out the size of tube I need and weld a boss in that. Just wanted to know if thre were any Hitachi alternatives. I guess it's all pretty secrative.

Cheers anyway [:)]

******. Didn't think so, going to get my scrapyard investigation hat on and go hunting. Do you know mucha bout the maf signal, reference voltages etc mate? Or am I going to have to get my oscillioscpoe out....

you can get a policy where they will come out agree a value of the car with you etc before hand. can cost a bit, but well worth it after carrying out that much work.

Golf - I am doing a BSc in Multimedia communications. The course emcomapsses all computer network hardware, software, theory and other types of comms. All car related stuff is self taught /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jo - I had to fill out a form with all the modifications I've performed etc and get an engineers report done to say the car is sound. Suprisingly enough the Audi is hardly modified comapred to my Fiesta /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

I've listed every mod and agreed a price to cover my costs. Hopefully the new front/rear end will be on in time for the meetup in November. Got to ge the exhaust sorted too and a stage 1 chip fitted. I doubt the big turbo will be on there are still chargecooler fitment issues:

chargecoolerrad.jpg

chargecoolertank1.jpg
chargecoolertank2.jpg
chargecooler2.JPG
chargecooler1.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

how much trim do you have to take off to get around the radio,mine has jammed on the right side and only comes out 18mm tried pulling it but has stopped working and yes i did have the right keys l/side no problem but now am stuck what to do?

Unfortuantely the radio is central to removing the centre console. Without removing that you'll have to snap the console off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It sounds like the tool hasnt engaged or the small prongs of metal have broken and become locked.
If you can get some close up photos it would be a godsend mate, I may be able to suggest something then.

that sounds like what has happened,i will take photos tommorow,i am popping in to a car hi-fi shop first to see if they can get it out and put a sony head unit in but i will let you know the putcome,thanks a lot,great work by the way, might see you working on F1 in the future??

Thanks Steve,you know if your'e not fussed about keeping the current headunit you can put a flat piece of metal down the side and tap the prongs out with a hammer.

F1, would be very nice. I'll see how IT turns out for me, but I have more interest in cars at the mo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hi mate you done a very good job. just want some help that how did you manage to fit front 1 peace head lamp & back lights i thought they dont fit to 97 model????? i hope you dont mind to tell me the secret. thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

"dosen't fit a 97" applies to a lot of parts I've put on the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can give you hand sometime if you like mate. If you bring them to the meet I will fit them for you, as long as we have access to a power point I can solder the wires.

You will need the new connectors from a facelift car. The rear needs re-wiring too.

Wow that's some great work.

Where did you get those wheels and what size are they?

Well if you want to give it a try I can se if I can pitch one off an engine here if you like and send it to you by post....no promises but I can see what I can do.

Hitachi ECU's are no probs but the MAF's are hard to get at the moment, as the factory is running only a small stock of engines using MAF's at the moment.