AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
    4th Gear

Status

Work in progress pics (large download)

Been busy getting my recently aquired turbo sport up to a spec I want.

Here are the new wheels I purchased from Daniel (RS4Wheels) on Friday night. The car will be lowered soon, it's currently sitting on brand new OEM sport suspension and all new front control arms. I like to make sure everythings tip top before the power starts going up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I stripped out the interior yesterday and thismorning. I've been busy shampooing the carpets and all the trim, and hired an industrial wet-vac which I used to suck the water out. I've taken the dash out so I can fit the later dials; late type DIS, rear electric windows, and retro-fit climate control:

Engine shot. I've cleaned everything and replaced the engine mounts. Although they were fine at 52k miles, I want to be sure when I start on the engine work:

All the trim in the boot:

Seats nice and clean:

Late spec dashbaord which is the donor for the cliamte control, and all associated wiring:

Air conditioning compressor and associated pipework:

My dashboard:

Things still to do:
    Modify RS4 front bumper to fit
    Fit S4 rear and side skirts.
    Lowering
    Fabricate an exhaust manifold and system using S4 parts
    Porsche brakes

I'll post more pics when I've progressed further [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status

Re: Work in progress pics (large download)

Hi Mark, It's already looking great! Can't wait to see your car when it's fully finished. P.S NICE WHEELS!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

Thanks mate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Seriously needs lowering now! I will get on it ASAP [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

cool as we done a simular thing as what your doing to our demo van a corsa stripped that and rebuilt to car spec, ill be build kick builds and door build but i want to get them painted so they look like the black trim of the s3

4th Gear

Status

Let my know what you use to match the trim, I've got to move my HVAC unit, so will need to make a new fascia out of aluminium.

1st Gear

Status

i think will be fiberglass and filler with some leather and then sprayed at a body shop with a thick lacker

4th Gear

Status

Haven't updated for a while, but i've got a fair bit done [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Climate is all in and running, just need a recharge now:

Had a choice of climate units but decided on the very latest version in the end, as the illumination is better and it will match the nav unit.

96-97 left, 97+ right

96-97

97+ unit

You can see there are only very minor differences, but the 97's illumination is much better. I decided on neither of these and went 99+ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Got a full standard S4 exhaust to go on. Will need a bit of modification, but once on will give me much less restriction yet retain standard levels of noise. which is nice

Finally the exterior is looking more how I'd like it, got the s4 sides on and painted. Front RS4 and rear S4 bumper still to come, and possibly a small window spoiler like this:

Front:

Side:

SAFE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

3rd Gear

Status

looking good...

has everything gone back on well ? no vibrations or problems ?

you are obviously pretty well at home doin this stuff, I would not dare !!!

what year is your t sport ?

4th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Fraser said:
    looking good...

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything has gone back in as it came out, if not better. I've had every piece of trim off and scrubbed it witha brush and fairy liquid, and shampoo'd anything that's material (doorcards, A pillars etc). The dash was a little tricky, I went around with a ruler measuring gaps until I was happy and bolted in place [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It is a 1996 on an N with FASH and a genuine 54k miles. It's now as the 2000 spec minus a few things. Next up is 300BHP.

1st Gear

Status

very good looks nice, i did fancy doing that sort of thing my self but gave up and just got the s3 instead on doing a a4 mod job

1st Gear

Status

i tell you what, any woman that marries you had better be good at housework. well done

Reverse Gear

Status

Hi Excursion,

I drive a S4 and am looking to have the RS4 bumper fitted, so would be interested to find out where you purchased it from and if you don't mind, how much have you paid for it.

I would also be interested to find out what adjustments have been done/to be done in order to fit this to the T sport.

Many thanks

4th Gear

Status

Hi mate,
    The bumper was between 500-600, I can't remember exactly because I got it along with a load of other parts. I got it from www.vagparts.com email martyn@vagparts.com and say Mark Stewart put you on to him [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To get it to fit the sides of the bumper have to be heated up and bent to the shape of the wing, once the right shape is achieved a piece of metal is riveted in place to keep it there. Sounds like a bodge job but it isnt [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Reverse Gear

Status

Thanks mate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Administrators On Twitter

[ QUOTE ]
    excursion said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Fraser said:
    looking good...

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything has gone back in as it came out, if not better. I've had every piece of trim off and scrubbed it witha brush and fairy liquid, and shampoo'd anything that's material (doorcards, A pillars etc). The dash was a little tricky, I went around with a ruler measuring gaps until I was happy and bolted in place [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It is a 1996 on an N with FASH and a genuine 54k miles. It's now as the 2000 spec minus a few things. Next up is 300BHP.

[/ QUOTE ]

only 300bhp?

4th Gear

Status

Sea fishing! Where do you go?

4th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wando said:
    only 300bhp?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a rough estimate, I'm limited by my T3 more than anything at the moment but When funds allow i'll get the t34 sorted. Still waiting for the manifold to arrive from the states though.

Only spoken to Jabba so far about getting a program done, will be ringing AmD and others soon to find out what they can do for me.

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

I have to admire you, if I can help at all please ask and I WILL try!

4th Gear

Status

Ahh thanks mate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I may need some help in a few weeks regarding the MAF sensor. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

lol, you and the rest of the Audi driving public [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

heh, thought so. Going to do a bit of math and work out the size of tube I need and weld a boss in that. Just wanted to know if thre were any Hitachi alternatives. I guess it's all pretty secrative.

Cheers anyway []

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

no all the Audi MAF's cannot be relied upon unfortunately
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

BUGGER. Didn't think so, going to get my scrapyard investigation hat on and go hunting. Do you know mucha bout the maf signal, reference voltages etc mate? Or am I going to have to get my oscillioscpoe out....

Sucemabite

Status

It's a true labour of love.

What are you studying at uni Excursion? Mechanical engineering? If so, you deserve a first!

5th Gear

Status

Amazing!

Here's a question - how do you insure a car that has had this amount of work done on it?

1st Gear

Status

you can get a policy where they will come out agree a value of the car with you etc before hand. can cost a bit, but well worth it after carrying out that much work.

4th Gear

Status

Golf - I am doing a BSc in Multimedia communications. The course emcomapsses all computer network hardware, software, theory and other types of comms. All car related stuff is self taught [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jo - I had to fill out a form with all the modifications I've performed etc and get an engineers report done to say the car is sound. Suprisingly enough the Audi is hardly modified comapred to my Fiesta [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif[/img]

I've listed every mod and agreed a price to cover my costs. Hopefully the new front/rear end will be on in time for the meetup in November. Got to ge the exhaust sorted too and a stage 1 chip fitted. I doubt the big turbo will be on there are still chargecooler fitment issues:

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

how much trim do you have to take off to get around the radio,mine has jammed on the right side and only comes out 18mm tried pulling it but has stopped working and yes i did have the right keys l/side no problem but now am stuck what to do?

4th Gear

Status

Unfortuantely the radio is central to removing the centre console. Without removing that you'll have to snap the console off [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It sounds like the tool hasnt engaged or the small prongs of metal have broken and become locked.
    If you can get some close up photos it would be a godsend mate, I may be able to suggest something then.

1st Gear

Status

that sounds like what has happened,i will take photos tommorow,i am popping in to a car hi-fi shop first to see if they can get it out and put a sony head unit in but i will let you know the putcome,thanks a lot,great work by the way, might see you working on F1 in the future??

4th Gear

Status

Thanks Steve,you know if your'e not fussed about keeping the current headunit you can put a flat piece of metal down the side and tap the prongs out with a hammer.

F1, would be very nice. I'll see how IT turns out for me, but I have more interest in cars at the mo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

hi mate you done a very good job. just want some help that how did you manage to fit front 1 peace head lamp & back lights i thought they dont fit to 97 model????? i hope you dont mind to tell me the secret. thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

"dosen't fit a 97" applies to a lot of parts I've put on the car [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I can give you hand sometime if you like mate. If you bring them to the meet I will fit them for you, as long as we have access to a power point I can solder the wires.

You will need the new connectors from a facelift car. The rear needs re-wiring too.

Reverse Gear

Status

Wow that's some great work.

Where did you get those wheels and what size are they?

5th Gear

Status

Well if you want to give it a try I can se if I can pitch one off an engine here if you like and send it to you by post....no promises but I can see what I can do.

Hitachi ECU's are no probs but the MAF's are hard to get at the moment, as the factory is running only a small stock of engines using MAF's at the moment.