Rumbling Noise - rear diff?

NicA4V6

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here - I've just picked up an A4 2.8Q (1997), and its making some interesting noises from the rear. I can liken it to the noise my old audi coupe quattro made when the diff locks were engaged, however I'm not sure whether the A4 has diff locks or not. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing it? It only happens when approaching full lock when driving forward at slow speed.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Nic

Help? Anyone? I've booked the car in to the garage this Thursday so I'd like if possible to go armed with a couple of ideas. When they find out what it is I'll post the conclusions up here.

I've done a little more investigating and it seems to make the noise in forward and reverse, but does it mostly when I use the throttle (even gently) and full steering lock. When the car is allowed to drive forward / reverse just on tick over (its an auto) the noise is greatly reduced.

Don't know if this will help spark any ideas but fingers crossed.

Cheers for any help

Nic

I don't think so. It only does it when on full steering lock and sounds like its coming from the rear of the car. Also, there is no noise when normal road driving, only on the tightest of round abouts.

Ah ok. The quattros tend to make quite a rumble at teh back when turning on full lock... Ive experienced this in 3 A4/S4's so that is normal... But never on roundabouts....unless you mean those spots in the road.

Rich

Thanks Rich, It only does it on my local tesco's roundabout which is rediculusly small, normally its fine - so hopefully its nothing then if its normal quattro type noise. I'll let you know if it turns out to be anything.

Nic

I had something similar on mine and I was told by a few Audi dealers it was the tyres grabbing but that was the front. Since I've had my suspension upgraded and geometry check it has stopped..?

Hope it helps.

Shagga, a geometry check is next on the list as it is pulling slightly to one side anyway so I know the tracking is out, but it definatly seems to be coming from the rear. Its in the garage at the moment anyway so will see what they say!

Cheers

Well, got the car back. The guy at the garage couldn't find anything and also has a quattro that makes the same noise. He also checked with his mate at a main dealers and he confirmed that it wasn't anything to worry about.

So £30 quid lighter but at least my brain can now rest easy.

Cheers for the suggestions,

Nic