engine ideas

blue boy

Reaction score
Right thinking of putting a diff engine in my car but stuck its got the v6 2.6 engine in it at the mo but need something i can mod any ideas ??????????????????????????/

1.8T is the cheapest option, but you'll probably be best with a parts car to ensure you've got everything you need, and if you've just bought a complete 1.8T A4 parts car, it makes more sense just to use that car rather than messing about converting the 2.6

Don't build a car you can buy, it does not make sense !

Reactions: jbh
Don't build a car you can buy, it does not make sense !

It makes perfect sense, to some people it's worth it for the pride, standing back and looking at it after a spirited drive and reminding yourself that it was you that built it and learnt a lot throughout the build and you know every but and bolt on that car

Anyone can throw money at a car and know nothing about it

Yep, but its still pointless.

It costs many times the amount, becomes near impossible to insure, gives you weeks of aggro with the DVLA because you changed the engine capacity, takes weeks of your life ******* around trying to figure out odd random quirks etc etc etc.

I will admit i did something similar, my own track car is an S4 shell fitted with a 1.8T, i went down that route because i wanted a 4wd track car, got the S4 shell for free with no drivetrain, and bought a scabby 1.8T FWD as a donor. So far its cost me almost nothing bar some service items and lots and lots of time. However its been sat on my driveway for nearly 3 years and still doesnt run. Mainly due to a lack of time. Plus i dont want it as a road car, it'll be a track motor thats trailered to the track and back again, so i dont need to bother with the utter ballache that is trying to insure an engine converted car.

Some conversions are worth it. Building a V8 engined B5 for instance would be worth the hassle. But spending a lot of time, and effort, to build something you can buy for less than a grand? Nah.