A4 1.8t running problem

LeeA4t

Reaction score
My car is an Audi a4 1.8t 1997, with decat stainless full system exhaust, K & N Induction kit and GFB dump valve.

I have 2 problems one is the alarm which keeps going off when it wants maybe once a night at silly o’clock, had the battery and alternator tested they seemed fine although the guy wasn’t to sure about the alternator so I replaced the battery as mine was very old anyway, still the alarm problem is there maybe it’s the alternator or just an alarm problem??

Now I have another problem my car is due for a service but I am not servicing it until next month (due to lack of cash) so I had a IN2 code on the dash (which means service due I think), now I have a IN1 code on the dash which I don’t know what that means and the car keeps cutting out at low revs and its hard to start back up sounds like its flooded and you can smell the petrol big time. The car runs perfect when booting it never misses a beat.

Could these two problems be down to the alternator?

What does IN1 mean? Just a fault?

How do I find out the fault code (I have climate control so is it there)?

Please help me

Lee

your problems are unlikely to be down to the alternator.

the alarm problem is most likely due to a dead backup battery in the siren - the whole siren part would most likely need replacing in this case

Your hard starting problems could be one of many, but most likely due to faulty coolant sensor, or clogged throttle body. Either way, a TB clean and adaptation would be the cheapest to try yourself, then try replacing the coolant sensor, which is also very easy.

For both cases, it's worth getting the fault codes read and examined though, as they'll give you a much better idea of whats going wrong.

As for the IN1 and IN2, don't worry, they are telling you that either an Inspection service, or an interval service is required.

and no, unfortunately, you cant read fault codes from the climate control.

Thanks for your help, I have now found someone who has the software to plug into my car for £25 and he can sort it all out for me.

no problem, i hope you sort it out.