S4 Brake Pads and Disc replaced

EnzoS4

Reaction score
Not sure what or why Audi had trouble but would like to see if anyone else had this issue.

My car except the wheels is completely standard due to insurance cost, I would love to chip the car but insurance is high already (maybe a poll to find out car spec v's insurance cost...?. Anyway the newer S4 wheels have been fitted on the car for the last 6+ mths.

Short version - Brake warning light came on, so took the car to Audi who checked the brakes. Rear brakes all seemed fine, Front pads down to metal - Audi replaced the front disc's and pads (standard). Audi then phoned to let me know that they could not get the wheels back on the car and I need to spend £300+ to get the wheels fitted. This is the cost for spacers, longer bolts and extra labour.

The spacers are H&R which I've been told are good spacers...? With the spacers on (10mm) the wheels now sit level with the wheel arch, which I think all looks wrong.

This thread is more on feedback to see if anyone else had this issue getting bigger wheel back on after replacing the pads / discs, if not to let you guys know that newer S4 wheels will not fit fully on B5 S4.

I Should have stuck with my original plan to get the old type RS4 wheels which most of you have which look very good on the A4/S4.

Hang on... the wheels were on the car before you took it in?
And now you've paid £300 for some spacers, bolts and labour to fit the wheels they would have to fit anyway... only with a chunk of metal on the hub??

Surrely thats not right!

Do you mean that now that new pads have been fitted the caliper is sitting further out making it impossible to put the wheels back on?

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you mean that now that new pads have been fitted the caliper is sitting further out making it impossible to put the wheels back on?

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Audi say...?

CharlieRevell I agree with you - the wheel was on to start with.

But once the new disc and pads have been fitted, the caliper is pushed out (as Kev stated above). The S4's have floating caliper...? (if thats right). so the wheel will nolonger fit. The walls on the new S4 wheels must be thicker than standard S4 wheels.

I will try and get a pic tomorrow, see what you guy think.?

Has anyone replaced the disc and pads on a B5 S4 / A4 with non standard wheels and been OK or had the same issue..? more to the point has anyone got the the new S4 wheel on a B5 S4 / A4...?

The calipers self adjust for pad wear, altho the caliper floats, it doesnt move that far...

Pad is only like 10mm or so deep, I just cant believe it was £300...

Deffo cant believe they charged labour!

Does sound a bit harsh they charged 300 quid but I can believe that the calipers would touch the wheels with new discs and pads as they do float and there's only a gnats whisker in it even on the b6.

Enclosed a few pics. I would be interested to see what you guys think. I suppose I will have the same issue when I get the rear pads done.

I know.... the car needs a clean....

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00009.JPG

The spacer:
DSC00010.JPG

i would try taking the adaptors off yourself and trying the wheel without them.

I can not believe the wheel was that close before you took the car into Audi.

Can you not remember seeing the clearance before you gave them the car?

The wheels now look like they stick out the arches at the front.