Clutch slipping....but only after some HARD driving?

Rfmacaskill

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the following issue, or have they experienced this?

So...I've been running my TQS for a couple of months now and I haven't noticed anything untoward in terms of clutch slippage. I've noticed a slight delay / lag between 2nd and 3rd under hard acceleration but other than that...nothing. I've had a chat with the guys down at ecotune and will shortly book in a rolling road session to see if anything obvious needs doing before I consider a tune / chip

According to the service receipts the clutch / bearing and dual mass flywheel was changed in Jan 2012 @ 76.6K. The car now has just over 98K

I was out over the weekend with a pal and we were 'giving it some beans' for a good few miles. To be fair, we gave it everything with full throttle blasts through 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears. In total we probably traveled about 10 miles. As we sedately drove home, and now in 5th the clutch started slipping when under acceleration i.e the revs ran high with no forward momentum. It did it in 4th as well, but not as pronounced.

The next morning, and every since, this hasn't happened again. Admittedly, I've not driven it that hard since.

Any thoughts? Cheap / dead clutch? Oil leak on flywheel? Polished flywheel after too much beans?

EDIT: I've just done a google search for the clutch and it's a OEM sachs kit from Euro. The flywheel part No isn't coming up with anything?

It could be a leaking rear crank seal or gearbox input seal, leaking oil onto the clutch when hot?

I find it hard to believe they've killed the clutch in 25k if its running standard power.

That was my thinking too. I suspect this is just as big a job to change as it is to replace the clutch. I'd have thought it's probably best to wait until the clutch goes before tacking this as opposed to dealing with it as a separate issue?

Yeh just see if it gets worse.

Mine was slipping intermittently for over a year due to a leaking oil seal. Mine would mostly slip if you were a bit sharp on the power after a gearchange before the clutch had fully locked up, and was fine otherwise, but eventually it would slip at full throttle in 5th.

FWD admittidly but my original clutch (172k miles) with a 45bhp hike in power over standard doesn't slip even after a full day of track action. It sounds like something is a miss.