Front mounting an amplifier

Bizzeh

Reaction score
I recently purchased an Audison SR-2 amp to run some components i've just fitted. Problem is placement!! it will fit inside my glovebox, but at a completely stupid angle which is of no use to me.

Has anyone done anything like this before, and if so, any advice??

Cheers

Id be careful about cooling. Ive used Audison amps in the past and they run very hot, the confined glovebox may be a bad idea. The seats sit very low in the A4 (well mine are on their lowest setting) so that rules out under seat looks like the boots the only real option

Basically mate there is little to no space up in the dash.

I had a nightmare fitting my nav system with the hideaway tuner and digital EQ hideaway box behind my dash and would not bother to try and mount a amp their as the amp would die in the confined space.

I`m just totally against running speaker cables that far, seems stupid to have to go out and get 20od meters of speaker cable and a 6m RCA when everything i want is up the front end!!

Is there any room behind the glovebox at all?? I was toying around with the idea of getting a second glovebox, chopping the back out of it and replacing my one with the blue peter effort with the amp already mounted in it.

Directly No, as the heating pipe live right behind it.

You can hang it (depending on size) just below the heating pipes or behind using tie wraps but other than that there is no room.

Well if it gets that hot just powering the front components even in a confined space then I'd question how good an amp it is.
Amps get warm, not hot and as long as there is some airflow round the cooling fins then it shouldn't overheat even if the confined space gets warm.
If it was driving a sub then it gets more critical, but there is a limit how hard you can drive 4" or 5.25" speakers mounted on a hardboard door card.

[ QUOTE ]
if you do fit it in the glovebox, think about fitting the 'cooled glovebox' theres a how-to on another audi website somewheres

[/ QUOTE ]

i think thats only do'able in the B6 as there is an option for this from the dealers. If its possible on the B5 i may well give it a go. Anyone able to shed any further light on this?

just try it in the glove box it might be ok

From what i recall the srx2 is the baby of the range
Out of that range i had the special line srx2 which was a huge thing and used to run redhot but that was running two 12s at 2 ohm.

as above the little one at 4ohm should be ok

try and put it in the glove box connection side first cos the heatsink is on the top of those amps

Just keep an eye on it
only mentioned heat because ive had loads of audisons and they all use loads of juice and run very hot.