Ride quality......

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
Have been meaning to ask this question for some time now, so here goes......
I changed my '94 80 TDi Avant SE for the '99 A4 TDi Avant SE 110 last October and whilst I like the A4 very much there is only 1 aspect of the car that I'm not mad about; the ride quality.
The suspension on the 80 was very compliant (with standard 205/60 x 15 tyres) and was a really comfortable long-distance cruiser.
I do find the suspension on the A4 much firmer, and dare say it, harsher?
I know that the tyre profile on the '99 is slightly lower, being 205/55 x 16 , but could this cause the much firmer ride?
My A4 does not have sports suspension, having checked out all the codes from the boot data sticker, so thought I'd ask whether the A4 is known for having a firm ride?

Thanks.

Paul.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i thought mine wallowed like a boat on the sport suspention, must be what your used to i guess.

same as kris, i had a b5 SE Saloon, and although the handling was always predictable, it did feel like a sofa.

perhaps the stiffer rear springs in the avant really effect the handling?

I'm not referring to the handling at all guys.....but how hard the ride feels .
The 80 probably did handle like the QE2 , but the ride always felt firm, but comfortable at the same time.
Don't know if this was down to the sport seats (part of the SE pack) which were very comfy yet very supportive or whether it was down to the shocks/springs combination.
The A4 feels much, much firmer and I was trying to gauge whether the B5 was known for having a hard ride......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nor was i, i thought it was very soft on the sport suspention.

You should try some of the roads round me in Lancs with Sports suspension and 18's, my Dentist likes it though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

On smooth or undulating roads its great but once the road has potholes or a rutted surface its bad!!

My Father-in-law has had an Audi 100 and now has a new A6 and he's commented on the choppier ride compared to his 100

Mmmm, seems like the later Audis do have generally harder suspension then...
My stepfather has fairly recently changed from an A6 2.6 fwd saloon to an A6 2.8 Avant quattro and the Avant fairly well shakes his fillings out no matter what the road surface is like...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif