AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

N/S Outer C V Gaiter

I've got to replace the outer cv gaiter on a 2.4 auto a4 what sort of job is it like to do,is there anything else required other than a cv waiter kit
    Do I have to remove the whole shaft or can I just remove the bottom ball joints and split the shaft leaving the outer cv joint in the hub

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    im guessing its the front one you have to do.. most people remove hub bolt and then the pinch bolt for the top arms and track rod end so you can pull the wheel bearing housing outwards at the top and get the shaft out. im not sure on the 2.4 auto if you can get the shaft out in place like you can on the 1.8t's... im sure someone will comment and confirm if its possible or not..

overall not too bad to do.. apart from green grease going everywhere

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    On the n/s on my TQS you can pull the shaft without even touching the upright, drivers side needs to be dropped due to the exhaust.

Id say if your tackling it yourself and only means of transport then get the top pinch bolt just incase, boot kit and shaft bolt and proper clamp pliers. If you have a vice pull the full shaft lot easier to do in a vice.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

1st Gear

Status
    Yea I'm doing it myself,does anyone know what size the hub nut/bolt is as I'm not sure if I have the right socket/Allen key as I won't see the car till Saturday the car is a 2000 a4 2.4 v6 auto fwd,I just want to make sure I have everything so I'm not messing about getting bits

Status
    Its either 14mm or 17mm.

Think V6 cars use the larger 82mm bearing which use 17mm shaft bolts.

Ive just ordered a set of laser 4136 pliers as my driver side has popped again so ordered a genuine boot for £28 delivered which also came with hub bolt.

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

1st Gear

Status
    I've got the correct pliers for the boot clips as well as the tools for the job just possibly not for the hub nut
    I have heard the top pinch bolt can be a ***** that's why I was thinking I could get away with removing the lower ball joints and doing it that way

Status
    Its more of a pita due to the ball joint that drops into the upright the driveshaft gets in the way unless you drop the full arm and swing it around to work it out i thought this and ended up doing it the pinch bolt way.

What type have you got ?? As your meant to use certain ones on certain clips.

1st Gear

Status
    I got mine off snap on years ago

Status
    Ok what boot kit you gone for ?

1st Gear

Status
    The driveshaft can be removed without touching the pinch bolt or bottom balljoint. Release the hub bolt, raise the car both sides, undo inner CV joint splined bolts (x6). By rotating steering you should be able to release the CV joint from the hub. Use a rubber mallet to remove the CV joint from the drive shaft.
    2010 Škoda Fabia 1.6 TDI CR (105) Elegance (31k)
    2002 A2 1.4 TDI SE (130k)
    2001 A4 2.5 TDi Avant Quattro Sport, aka Amrak Locomotive (162k)
    1995 80 TDI Avant SE (175k) Sold

Status
    I did try this method but the drivers one would not clear. The passenger one did will give it another go next weekend when i do the boot/joint !!

5th Gear

Status
    you can usually remove the CV by putting the bolt back in and tightening it up, it pushes against the end of the shaft and drives the CV off
    Dave

"If that's the Turbo Fairy knocking tell Her I'm not in"

Status
    Thats how i do it but only till it touches the centre shaft i dont go mad tight then use a persuasion tool to knock it off lol

1st Gear

Status
    Cv boot all done what an easy job that was all done in about 45minutes,didn't have to remove an ball joints,just hub bolt,diveshaft heat shield and 6 bolts on the gearbox flange then pop the shaft out then strip outer joint off and fit new boot