Central Locking

Rev-head

Reaction score
Having just bought my A4 one of the things that i want is Key fob, as when i bought the car i only had two keys with it ,none were press button jobs

Any way have noticed on ebay guys selling key fobs ,question is how does it work do you have to have a certain wave length coming from the key to open doors and how do you put the memory into the fob?

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

AFAIK you cant use keyfobs from an Audi that has remote (radio-controlled) central locking on a car that has ordinary key-locking....
Think that VagParts sells a Votex remote-locking kit that splices an interface into the central-locking pump that with the supplied Votex-remotes gives your A4 remote-locking.......think this is the only way to get remote locking on your A4.....

HTH.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I simply got a Sigma full closure CAT1 alarm/immobiliser fitted for £180, it also helped with the insurance. Single button press does everything and has code hopping so it can't be scanned.

Hi, if your A4 is a 97 or later it is compatible with radio frequency remote central locking (earlier models had Infra-red).
Check that your central locking pump (in rear corner of boot, drivers side wheel arch) has a suffix of 'B' or greater (98 onwards for most 8L0 pumps, will have european radio frequency blurb on bottom). If your pump is not RF, buy a later similar 8LO/4DO from ebay etc. (my 97 A4 TDI 110 has an A3 'G' suffix pump at the moment (changing pump may require your soft coding to be altered))
Then buy a flick key from ebay, 2 button for early 97-98, 3 button for most 98 onwards.
You will have to sync the remote to your car for the remote locking to work(elsewhere in forum), and either take all your keys to Audi to have a new set of transponders fitted, or sacrifice one of your master/spare keys (not service key) and remove the glass transponder capsule and swap it for the one in your new flick key remote to use the key in the ignition (you can reengineer the blade from the sacrificed key to fit the flick key too).

Revhead ive just bought the Votex kit that nessy mentioned, cost me £100 ish off VAGparts.com. Dead easy to install, takes about 10 mins. Works well enough, although the remote is nowhere near as neat as the original Audi one.

ini, i didnt realise you could make the original audi system work, seems pretty complicated tho compared to the votex plug'n'play kit!

I agree, it is a lot of work for a remote system with such a poor range as standard. The votex or other aftermarket plugin or alarm is far superior.

[ QUOTE ]
Revhead ive just bought the Votex kit that nessy mentioned, cost me £100 ish off VAGparts.com. Dead easy to install, takes about 10 mins. Works well enough, although the remote is nowhere near as neat as the original Audi one.

ini, i didnt realise you could make the original audi system work, seems pretty complicated tho compared to the votex plug'n'play kit!

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have this Votex remote locking kit fitted on my 1996 A4 1.8T, and was bought from a member on here, and i have to say i am well impressed with the range of the remote. Very easy to install, once you locate the central locking pump!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well lets guess whats on the shopping list.......cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

hi all,

can any of you help me out with some fitting instructions for the votex kit please,

i have a similar central locking system ready to fit to my 1991 Audi 80 Sport 16v but cannot for love nor money find any wiring diagrams for my central locking.

mr haynes must have forgot about this while he was too busy typing "replacement is reversal of removal" everywhere in his books which i must admit is very helpful?!£

hope someone can help,

cheers,

Guile