180 T Quattro

Lachlan66

One of life's unfortunates
Reaction score
Hello people,

I know this has been asked a million times before however I've only owned a couple of B2's (one being a sport and the other a diesel) many other VAG also therefore when buying the above is there anything of particular note to be aware of ? common faults/issues ? You know the kind of stuff. I never buy anything without a proper maintenance record so that's a given.

Any help appreciated

:thumbsup:

Regular oil changes will be a must, Google 1.8t sludge issues. Long life service intervals are no good, ideally a change between 3-5k is good.

Front control arms knock and bang when tired, if they have been replaced with anything less than meyle or lemforder expect to be changing them again.

Transmission is solid, but an oil change for the gearbox and rear diff would be nice.

Then timing belt and water pump.

Regular oil changes will be a must, Google 1.8t sludge issues. Long life service intervals are no good, ideally a change between 3-5k is good.

Front control arms knock and bang when tired, if they have been replaced with anything less than meyle or lemforder expect to be changing them again.

Transmission is solid, but an oil change for the gearbox and rear diff would be nice.

Then timing belt and water pump.

Thanks, sounds like the usual bits and bobs. Regarding the oil changes for the rear dif, how often should that be carried out and what sort of moola would one expect to pay for an excellent later sub hundred thou miler ?

There isn't a time or mileage for the gearbox or diff, I did mine at 120k and it looked ropey.

As for values they have dropped considerably at the moment, I wouldn't want to spend more than 2 grand. not many about with less than 100k, but there are some, and if your not in a rush every now and then good ones come up with good spec like factory xenons, recaro, auto dim etc.

Thanks for the info :sm4:

Are they okay in respect of electrical niggles as the wife had an A3 that was a bit temperamental

I've not had many, off the top of my head the dis screens are poor, I've had a my wiper switch intermittently not work, but on the whole not too bad.

Another thing to check is the scuttle drains are not blocked, they clog up and can let water get in the cabin.

That's a nice one indeed and did enquire but it's due a cambelt, wasn't sure about the rims and why it wouldn't have the original wheels.

Is it on the money when it needs four hundred squid spending from the off ?

To be fair mate the newest of these cars is 13 years old so you may need to be a bit more sensible with your list of demands. Good cars are out there but you may still need a bit of fettling to get perfect.

To be fair mate the newest of these cars is 13 years old so you may need to be a bit more sensible with your list of demands. Good cars are out there but you may still need a bit of fettling to get perfect.

Gosh ! Didn't realise I'd gotten so old my B2 was younger than that in the late 80's and it only cost me eight hundred quid. :redface:

The original wheels had diamond cut lips, and as is typical with diamond cut wheels, they corrode badly in about 12 minutes.

Some folk will have had them refurbed (usually in silver without the stupid diamond cut bit), others will have changed the wheels instead.

Personally, i would completely ignore the mileage. If you fixate on it, your likely to write off very good cars, or end up buying one that actually needs a lot of work upcoming. Consider that higher mileage cars will potentially have had many items replaced. My Avant for instance is on 150k, and every consumable component on the car as been renewed, and its almost certainly going to be in better mechanical condition than a standard unfettled car which has "only" done 60k. Now sure, you could just as easily buy a 150k car with original everything and thats going to need a lot of TLC.

Very low mileage on a 14 year old car just says to me its been sitting around not getting used, which isnt really very good for it... OR even worse, its been used regularly to do a 1 mile school run or similar and nothing else.

Ignore the mileage, and buy on condition and history.

OP: I was in the same boat as you maybe 3 months ago and I'd really have to agree with aragorn. Do your homework and focus on how the car has been cared for by it's previous owners. I spent too many endless hours searching and turned down several good cars. I eventually stumbled on one on Gumtree within 15 minutes from my home.

In truth, the ad and vendor were very questionable as they'd 'blacked' out the front and rear Audi rings and removed all the other badges. I almost walked away there and then but after a thorough inspection and road test I took the plunge.

It's a 2001 TQS with half leather and 96,545 on the clock. Things I highlighted via VAGCOM and test drive before I bought:

No rust but a few dings and one scuff on the bumper.
NSF linkages knocking.
Front shockers are soft.
Non standard 18' wheel with crap tyres.
Indicators not working.
Oil and temp gauge not working.
Front speakers not working.
MAF giving dodgy readings.
Rear boot RH switch not working.

It had 5 previous owners but with a fully and good history with no gaps. Plenty of receipts showing what had been changed and when...all for £1080...after much haggling!

Work carried out thus far:

Replaced all the badges with standard silver rings etc
New Temp switches & new thermostat. (Oil and temp gauge now working)
New hazard relay. (Indicators now working)
Repaired 2 x broken speaker wires. (Front speakers now working)
Cleaned MAF with Elect cleaner. VAGCOM is now happy
Oil & filter change
Installed Parrot 9200
I've just bought 4 original Ronal Boleros for £25 and am in the process of having them refurbed and then some new tyres.

The list of upgrades I'd like to eventually get round to doing is growing but if I'm totally honest...I'm loving every bit of it!

Last edited:
I've got black badges on mine ;)

I just hate chrome. Our avant had the silver colored roof rails and i swapped them for black ones too.

Black rings here too on a black car with tinted headlights and side repeaters, rear lights on the to do list, stealth mode is the key IMHO :)

Reactions: crazy88
No offence to all you stealth / anti chrome folks.

Just following on from my original post....my initial instinct when I saw the car in the flesh was...."a black car that's being de-badged with black rings and large blingy alloys....oh my, it's been thrashed!" I was gladly proved wrong :sm4: