Fuel gauge stops working

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
My fuel gauge is playing up along with the 'creep' its no started to show empty after switching the car on and off it only happens just under a 1/4 of a tank and when i next get in the car the fuel light comes on and it reads empty i tank the car every fill up so dont just throw a tenner in here and there if i do i will throw £20 in at weekends.

is it time for a new fuel gauge or can they be repaired ??

there's a wire that links the float to the body on the sender in the tank. mine went last summer, just pop the sender out and solder a new piece in. I used the conductor from an old set of test leads as they're nice and flexible

20130302 100443

Reactions: PAULF
would that cause an intermittent fault in 17- instruments - fuel level sender open circuit/short to ground - intermittant ?

Probably not as it would just probably think its empty but i will check anyway never thought of checking the faults, sunday i was on literally empty after dit coming down from just over the 1/8 bar when the light comes on got to tesco as the needle was off the gauge and it only took £56 iirc got in the car and it showed 3/4 of a tank and wouldnt take no more drove 2 or 3 mile down the road and it crept up to just under a full tank, going to look at it this weekend if i get chance, from memory can you just remove the lock ring and gain access to the gauge unit and remove it fairly easy ie with little tools dont want to be carting tools home from work as i always forget to take them back lol