Running on 3 :-(

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Car was fine yesterday when I parked up but got in it tonight to go out and it was running on 3. In the past it's done this when I've started it, moved it and shut it off and after moving off it all clears. Last night I didn't move it all and the misfire didn't clear. Scanned it with Vcds and no codes have been recorded. Spark plug giving up maybe or something more serious?

Wouldn't an ICM fault trigger a fault code?

What bits do I need for the ICM delete?

ECS adapter plater from Awesome £52
Wiring loom (1JO 971 658 L) from Awesome £35
Can I use any 2 litre coil pack from 2001 on? Ignition Coil | Ignition Coils For Any Car | Car Ignition Coils

Need to get this wrapped up PDQ as I need the car for work.

Last edited:
does sound like a coil pack on is way out one of mine was intermittent before it died completly

icm can be done fairly cheaply

these are some oem adapters about £1.40 each
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...4-2-0-tfsi-coil-packs-1-8t-7.html#post1813440

new tfsi coils were around £20 each

i used one of those harnesses but binned 90% of it, by rerouting the wiring from the icm it will reach the coils so all i used was the earth wiring from the harness, when i do my other car i'll just buy some wire and connectors

I have a genuine ICM (4D0 905 351), which was only on the car for a few months before the turbo went and the car was scrapped, but I kept the ICM as I had just fitted the dam thing.....

You can use the 4 pin hitachi 'e' type bolt downs from a TT/RS6 for a quick cheap swap rather than 2.0T coils and adapters then upgrade at a later date if you want too, mines never skipped a beat since i did the mod after a misfire when on boost probably best mod ive done tbh.

Fire it up, run for maybe 10-15 secs then turn off.

Feel each branch of the exhaust manifold and see which ones cold.

ICM failure usually (but not always) starts on cyl 2. If Cyl 2 is the cold one, i'd be looking at ICM first, either swap it out for another or do the coil upgrade.

If its different, you can then swap coil packs around between cold and hot cylinders, and try again, which will tell you if its a coil.

And no, you wont get any fault codes, ECU is too dumb to notice ICM failures.

If your going to convert it, use the touareg adaptors, makes the whole conversion very cheap, as they're only a quid each from the dealer.

Saw those in the link above, fair chunk cheaper than the ECS kit. Not as blingy but I'm normally a function over form person. Need the car for work so whatever I do I'll need to do it PDQ

I probably have a spare ICM you can borrow while you decide the best approach?

Let me know today and i'll stick it in the post.

Well a bit of tinkering this morning and I have nothing on cylinder 1. Swapped coil packs over between 1 and 2 and still nothing on cylinder 1. ECP have a BERU ICM for £69 so going to pick that up this morning and hopefully job's a goodun. Think I may do the ICM delete at a later date regardless but this will hopefully buy me time.

Watch this space I may be back in a good or bad mood. lol

Thanks for the offer aragorn, appreciated. Not happy having to shell out and borrowing yours would be great but if I don't sort this today I'm taking my laptop bag to work with me tomorrow on my mountain bike. lol