Wheel size

Yes it will. Mines are et45 and fit, just.

You'll be surprised how much you will need to lower it by to stop that 4x4 look haha. Mine was about 4/5 inches :)

There isnt 5" of travel in the suspension, so unless your driving around on bumpstops you didnt lower it that much.

30-40mm makes all the difference. Much more than about 50mm and you wreck all the geometry and screw the handling.

I could be wrong with the measurement but it was a hell of a lot. Depends if your going for springs or coilovers. Personally I feel springs are a waste of time :/ ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398153725245888

Coilovers that work properly cost over a grand.

Quality shocks and springs can be had for half that.

You look like you've fitted the wrong tyres then lowered the car far too much to compensate for the resulting massive arch gap.

I've had the same make of coilovers for all my cars and they've worked just the way I need them :) the only reason I'd spend over a grand is if it saw a track haha. The wheels when I bought them came with the smallest amount of stretch :) I know in many people's eyes it will be seen as impractical and well the wheel colour is different but I like it :) haha.

Stretch is a different matter.

The tyre should be a 630-640mm diameter, and those dont look that size. What size are they?

Cheap coilovers are horrible crashy uncomforable things. A quality spring/shock kit will leave you with a smoother more comfortable drive than even Audi managed from the factory. Pound for pound you'll get a better quality setup with shocks and springs than you will with coilovers, simply because coilovers cost more to manufacture.

The impracticality i guess is a personal choice. I drive my car on real roads, and real roads are invariably completely knackered. Having suspension that works is somewhat imperative on real roads, and the suspension working properly comes before any styling or cosmetic aspect for me. That said, my car is still pretty low, its simply lowered "just enough", rather than "into the weeds".

The tyre size is 215/35/18. The profile is a tad lower than I wanted but can't complain for the price i paid for the wheels. In all fairness you say they are uncomfortable but they are a lot nicer than you'd think. I find them comfortable, nicer than some factory cars I've been in hah. Don't worry I have considered all the options and I totally get what your saying :) I'm just saying that if you have a strict budget, they aren't bad at all. It's not really impractical, to some It might be, but I can get everywhere, speed bumps aren't an issue either :) if I had a feeling it would compromise me being able to get to places I would higher it straight away :) in all fairness it does look quite a bit lower in the picture than it actually is. Each to their own really :)

I knew you were going to say 215/35 :p

Theres about an inch less tyre sidewall than there should be with that size tyre, vs the correct fitment.

Its silly, because with the correct size tyres it would look lower than it does currently due to the tyre filling the arch out more, while actually being half inch higher.

Mine already scrapes the exhaust over those stupid speed cushions and a certain type of sleeping policeman causes the floor of the car to bottom out. Yours has to be at least an inch lower than mine looking at the pic!

Haha! Well I wasn't very sure on the diameter to the mm :) yeah when the tyres need replacing I'm wanting a bigger profile, as it's just too small for my liking. Don't worry the tyre size wasn't my choice haha. Really? Weirdly enough mine doesn't :/ maybe the speed bumps where you like are bigger? Haven't got any sleeping policemen where i live haha.

Dec what coil overs are u using ? I looked at jom dunno if the are any good

I'm using JOM and I always have for all my cars. They are great, not too harsh on rebound. Go pretty low depending on your style.

Sorry about stealing this thread :/ haha I think I paid £210 for mine, so not very much at all! That's what's on the picture above :)

Same 200 that is good two people I heard using them. Now

I had them fitted to my old golf mk2 and they were on for 3 years. Worked perfectly throughout. I've helped fit them to various other cars and haven't had anyone say they had problems :)

Just found them. The axle load weights are a bit higher than the others ive looked at does that not give any side effects?

Its actually quite nice, got that sporty feel. Not too harsh and not soft. I could easily drive 3+ on them :) but I'm used to the ride anyway from previous cars

I have ProSport coil-overs on my A4 Avant '98 Tdi..

£200.00 delivered from Coil-overs Direct.

Have lowered the ride height by 35mm and it sticks to the road like velcro, is not crashy but has a firm but compliant ride.

Have recently managed to avoid totalling the car as the result of two idiots pulling out without looking...

The first, a motorway lane changer as I was along side on the two lane M26 and had to swerve violently to avoid the 'newark' who pulled out and even a severe steering input at approx 80mph ish the car handled faultlessly and stayed totally under control.

Second event, breakdown truck pulled out in front of me right on the junction as I was a cars length away from the idiot. Again a severe direction change at speed and the car avoided the truck and again remained totally in control.

The softer stock susp wasn't as sharp on the steering response as with the Prosport and I am convinced that it it were on the stock susp it would have been totalled both times..

A definite thumbs up for the Prosport. Even though its cheap, it does the job nicely. Very nicely indeed.

Oh tyres are 225/50/16... Don't write as many rims off as I did with out terribly potholed roads as I did with previous 18in rims. (Quite wide enough but with a decent side wall height for the roads)

Last edited:
Suspension doesnt really change how well the car sticks to the road. I love the fact folk fit springs and suddenly think they've got twice the grip they had before.

The main impact is how the car feels, and ofcourse dynamics when chaining together a few corners will often be better, but actual mechanical grip is a function of downforce and tyres.

In your scenarios above, you'd have had more body roll when you wrenched the steering, but the grip between the road and your tyres would have been exactly the same and thus you were no more likely to total the car then, as you were now.

Many years ago when i was young i had a standard 1.4 Astra. It was on the standard tractor suspension and flopped about like jelly. I fitted some alloys with good tyres, and then got some new suspension for it. But before i got the suspension i did some experimenting. One one particular large motorway roundabout nearby i drove round as fast as i could before i felt understeer, with the standard suspension. It felt HORRIFFIC, almost as though i was about to fall out the passenger door. Then i went and fitted the Koni kit and tried again. This time, it understeered at exactly the same speed, however, it FELT much better, i had more confidence in the car, which actually simply meant i was able to USE more of the available grip before it felt like it was going to fall off the road. It didnt actaully have any more grip.

The same thing happens when folk fit huge brakes. They go "OMG WOW I CAN NOW STOP ON A DIME" when in reality, maximum decelleration is still limited by the grip of the tyres, which makes it even more comical when you notice they're driving around on Jinyu Ditchhunters.

Reactions: foursprungdugtechnique
In your scenarios above, you'd have had more body roll when you wrenched the steering, but the grip between the road and your tyres would have been exactly the same and thus you were no more likely to total the car then, as you were now.

I disagree.

On standard suspension, the result of the steering being pulled violently to the left or right, (or indeed left then right/right then left), would be that the weight of the vehicle would be unevenly distributed onto the outside two tyres. This would cause the inside two tyres to lift off of the road surface somewhat as they are only supporting only a fraction of the weight and the outside tyres would become overloaded. The resultant will be more understeer and thus less steering control than if the weight were more evenly distributed across the surface area of all four tyres.

On a stiffened suspension, you will find that the body roll will be less and as a result, the weight of the vehicle will be more evenly distributed over the greater surface area of four tyres and the resultant of this, will be more grip and steering control.

Also prolonged imbalance of weight onto the 'outside' tyres will cause the 'outside' tyre to roll under in the direction of the outside of the sidewall. The inside edge of this tyre will again lift off the road surface creating less tyre being in contact with the road surface...

If it didn't make any difference, standard production performance models would not have the need to be fitted with stiffened suspension.

Lowering the cars suspension will also reduce the centre of gravity of the vehicle thus lowering the moment arm which causes body roll and instability.

Just some basic physics to consider...

Last edited:
For a start your completely ignoring the action of the antiroll bars in all of this... Furthermore, the physics is actually VERY complicated. Consider for instance where all the force that previously went into rolling the cars body over goes? That same force is still there, it doesnt magically vanish because you changed the springs. It still gets transferred from one side to the other, and still gets applied to the tyres. So the loadings on the tyres dont really change, and infact, because the body doesnt roll, you will find the tyre loading is actually much faster, resulting in a larger load spike, which could infact cause MORE understeer by causing the tyre to break away.

Its a very dynamic situation with a lot going on, and do you really think that some chinese lowering spring company put the R&D into analysing the car that Audi did when they designed the car and chose those standard spring rates?

Performance models are fitted with stiffer suspension because thats what the customer expects. They want the car to feel better to drive, more involved, more composed. None of that means the car actually has more grip. Do you really think they'd be able to even SELL a car that was wildly unsafe and threw you off the road because you opted for the comfort model over the sporty one?

If you watch top gear, you'll have noticed quite a few times when reviewing various sporty cars with adjustable suspension (or models where a sport and comfort option is available), that they actaully state it drives better with the suspension left on "comfort", because it handles just as well, and doesnt smash your spine in.

"For a start your completely ignoring the action of the antiroll bars in all of this... "

Anti Roll Bars only reduce the roll not stop it from happening.

"Furthermore, the physics is actually VERY complicated. Consider for instance where all the force that previously went into rolling the cars body over goes? That same force is still there, it doesnt magically vanish because you changed the springs. It still gets transferred from one side to the other, and still gets applied to the tyres. So the loadings on the tyres dont really change, and infact, because the body doesnt roll, you will find the tyre loading is actually much faster, resulting in a larger load spike, which could infact cause MORE understeer by causing the tyre to break away."

Wrong. A more evenly balanced car will have less understeer as all four tyres will have a more even distribution of weight spread across them thus improving the grip. (as long as the road surface has a good coefficient of friction)

I"ts a very dynamic situation with a lot going on, and do you really think that some chinese lowering spring company put the R&D into analysing the car that Audi did when they designed the car and chose those standard spring rates?"

So why do track cars have stiffer suspension then??

"Performance models are fitted with stiffer suspension because thats what the customer expects. They want the car to feel better to drive, more involved, more composed. None of that means the car actually has more grip. Do you really think they'd be able to even SELL a car that was wildly unsafe and threw you off the road because you opted for the comfort model over the sporty one?"

Yeah Right.

"If you watch top gear, you'll have noticed quite a few times when reviewing various sporty cars with adjustable suspension (or models where a sport and comfort option is available), that they actaully state it drives better with the suspension left on "comfort", because it handles just as well, and doesnt smash your spine in."

Oh, I see. Top Gear; the font of all information? It's an entertainment show and no one on there apart from James May has any engineering qualifications or ability at all.

Have a good look at my post, (substitute your Chinese springs and shocks for German ones if you wish) and see why my argument still remains...

Basic Physics:- If you lower the centre of gravity of the vehicle you completely alter the dynamics of the cars handling. Fact. And all the other factors I mentioned come into play.

Lets face it guys, suspension setup is complicated - so many factors and personal preferences, but one thing is sure - the B5 A4 is utter crap for handling.

Audi got it wrong. It is a VAG trait around that era, try a Mk4 Golf GT TDI 130 with the "Luxury" suspension setup - total ditch finder.

Ultimately I like my TQS, it has lots of grip, but is way way short on control,feel or consistancy to exploit it. Don't even get me started on the steering.

So we are left with no choice but to try aftermarket suspension, even cheap Chinese junk, anything is better than what Audi served up.

Apologies to the OP for going off topic - justification is that wheel/tyre size plays a role in handling/ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: bouncer117
Another thing, a more compliant suspension is generally safer in the wet, which is why even F1 cars have a rain setup, and one of those boy racer Civics that handles like you're being dragged along the road on a spade will find it's way into a ditch in the wet easier than a factory standard set up even on skinny tyres (unless they are Jinyu ones of course!)

Coilovers that work properly cost over a grand.

Quality shocks and springs can be had for half that.

What shocks and springs would be qualified as quality ones? I want to lower ~40mm, planning tyres 205 or 215/40/18 on 8.5j ET29.