New Wheels & Tyres

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
My car will need new tyres all round in the next two or three months. After a lot of research, I've decided to go for a 17 inch wheel & tyre package from Rochford. The wheel design I fancy is this one:

Postitano17inchalloy.jpg

With Avon ZZ3 tyres, the total is £555. Bearing in mind Kwik-Twits are quoting £500 for four brand new Pirellis, & my current 16inch Comps need re-furbishing, it's a bit of a no-brainer.

Rochford call this wheel the Postitano. I think it's a replica of an Audi design, but I'm not sure which one. If anyone knows which it is, or if they have this wheel on their car, any chance of some pics (or a photoshop job) to show what it will look like on a B5?

This is my B5 2.8Quattro. If anyone could do a Photoshop to super-impose these wheels onto my car, I'd much appreciate it.

P5110044.jpg

Last question. Is it true that ASN members qualify for a discount at Rochford, and if so, how do I go about validating membership & claiming the discount?

Thanks for any help, guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi Jeff, they look like the B6 facelift wheels that came with my TDi.
One thing I'd mention, I made the mistake of going with 17's on my B5 2.8Q and as soon as I fitted them I knew they weren't big enough, they didn't look any bigger than the standard alloys. Everytime I looked at the car I was kicking myself that I didn't go with 18's. Had to wait 2 years before I could justify upgrading again to the current 18's.
18's are just the right size for the B5 without looking stupid and without the car needing to be dropped IMO.
Just something to bear in mind before you commit.

Agree with the above comment. I would advise to choose an 18" wheel and tyre package if possible.

The above wheel is fitted to the B6 A4 sports. Have you considered the RS6 and RS4 replica wheels? You can pick up a set of these for around the same price as the above wheels, provided you are not fussed about the tyres.

Yes, I did consider the RS4 & RS4 reps, but have decided I prefer the one I showed in the pic. I like the simplicity of the 5-spoke design, which will have the added bonus of being easy to keep clean.

Also, whilst I take on board what you guys are saying, I'm not really looking for a bigger look necessarily. From previous experience, I've found that as you increase the wheel size & decrease the tyre profile, there's often a price to pay in noise & comfort levels.

I want to keep a reasonable balance between handling, ride, noise levels AND looks, which is why I'm looking at the 17inch wheels with 215/45 tyres.

What about the question of discount for ASN members? Do we get one, & if so, what's the process?

i was after a set when i got my 18's
i think they look better on the b5 than they do on the b6

[ QUOTE ]
i think they look better on the b5 than they do on the b6

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the B5 looks better than the B6.

Anyway, glad you approve gents & barring unforeseen financial crises or wifely interventions, they will be going on at the end of May.

Also I would definately be fussed about the rubber you get with the package, it makes all the difference in the world to the whole driving experience.
If you can't stretch to decent tyres and have to plumb for the budget rubber then you really should wait.

hi jeff just seen this picture on ebay i know the cars not silver but you get th idea
linky

Nice find, Ras! I'm looking forward to getting them on there. Shame I have to wait until May /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif