Couple of questions about my B5 S4 Avant......

arS4

Reaction score
Hi there,

Really happy with my newly acquired B5 S4 Avant. Got a couple of questions though -

Some things don't seem to work, but can't work out whether it's me or not!!!

1. Ciggy lighter doesn't work - push the button in, and it doesn't stay in. Also my Ipod/Ipaq adapters don't fit into the socket.

2. Headlight washers - according to the manual, these should pop up when the lights are on, and you operate the windscreen washers...... nothing happens.

3. Rear wash wipe - push the stalk towards the dash. The pump kicks in (I can hear it) - no water comes out though.....

Apart from these little niggles (I'd expect some on a 6yr-old car), it's a great car and am very happy with it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

DanoS4

Not sure on the fag lighter check the fuse for it.

My pal has these on his he needs to hold his washer jets on for around 6-7 secs for his to come on think its so they dont come on everytime you wipe your window. (this is in a polo gti though, prob same system though)

Double check that the rear wash wipe doesnt have another tank for water. I know my old pug 205 gti had a washer jet tank in the inside panel of the boot.

Yeh, my old Scooby Wagon had two wash bottles, but the Audi manual mentions nothing of a seperate bottle.....

?

DanoS4

Not sure if all A4 Avants are the same, my pre-facelift '99 A4 only has 1 washer bottle, under the bonnet, yet the handbook that came with the car (strangely enough showing post-facelift features) shows another washer bottle behind a cover in the offside rear of the luggage compartment, just like my old '94 80 Avant did....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Regarding rear wash/wipe;presuming that fluid is actually getting to the rear of the car there could be corrosion in the metal pipe that takes washer fluid through the wiper motor itself.
I had the same problem on my '99; only a dribble of fluid was coming out of the washer jet.
One day the rear wiper began working of its own accord ,took the wiper motor off the car to find the motor housing full of liquid! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
A replacement wiper motor was fairly easy to fit and cured the problem straight away; from what I can gather this is a fairly common problem on later VAG cars like A3/A4/Polos etc.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My A4, has a washer bottle for the rear in the boot, on the drivers side in a compartment!
I had a Audi 80 that use to do what yours did, ended up having to replace the pipe that ran from the pump to the jet!

Looked in the rear and found this -

s4pump2.jpg

s4pump.jpg

Presuming that this is the pump.........

Any ideas?

Dan

No that's your central locking pump, not the pump for the rear washer jet!

The washer jet pump on the rear of mine, attaches to the water bottle! Doesn't look like you've got a water bottle in the rear so it may be attached to the front!
Is the rear washer jet blocked??

OK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorted the front headlight washers - checked them tonight (might have been that they hadn't been used in ages)

Will have a look later on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan