Chuffed with the old girl - road trip

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Seeing as we always use my Mrs 207 diesel for long runs I decided for the round trip to Derbyshire for a friend's 40th we'd take mine. 250 mile round trip, no water or oil used and we averaged 37.2mpg. Even my Mrs said she was surprised how refined, easy to drive and trouble free it was.

Reactions: ScottD3, slepy and Sulli79
yeh they're good old motors!

I had a niggle a few months back about buying some cheap runner instead of having the two A4's, but most cheap runners woudl just be horrible to drive after the B5.

Reactions: Oranoco and jbh
It's only a FWD 1.8T with a few go faster bits, last time I dyno'd it it made 192bhp with 199ft/lb torque.

We did experience an annoying vibration round about the Watford Gap but that turned out to be the CD's in the glovebox lol.

It helped me make my mind up this run, not going to bother with the M3 for a while and will hang on to this. As long as it does what I want why get rid of it? Just need to get round to olting on that hybrid turbo.

Reactions: Chriscooke
My best ever whole tank MPG in the TQS was 36, which was 300miles of motorway, drafting a merc sprinter the whole way :p

I can usually get it up to around 34 if i take it easy and just cruise at 70.

FWD's are a bit lighter and bit less transmission losses so 37ish seems doable.

Its quite interesting just how quickly that average drops with a few short journeys/cold starts though!

better with a 1.9TDi

Got 700 miles one weekend and still had quater of a tank left

Cruised at a steady 65-70 most of the way

Trip was:-

Eduinburgh - John O'Groats

John O'Groats - Fort William

Fort William - Edinburgh

Mrs shared in the driving and had to be told on quite a few occasions that ther was a fifth gear LOL

which advice she took entirely in the spirit in which it was meant of course..... my Missis like to give me directions even when we are driving around the town where we have lived for 20 years....

re MPG averages - yes agree it is curious how the maths works - my car doing good MPG because it does 40 miles a day on an A road being hypermiled all the way...

My best ever journey in mine was back from work, its about 40miles mostly motorway with a few intersections etc. Reset the DIS in the office car park and set off, using some hypermiling techniques and generally just driving very smoothly, avoiding the brakes at all costs etc.

got home with the DIS showing 41mpg :)