Belt noise

darrenp

Reaction score
twice now since about last Thursday in the mornings when I start off I hear what sounds like a slipping fan belt noise. When I change up a gear it disappears.

Havent heard a noise like this from any car in years - but it be a sigh of the timing belt going???

if it were timing belt the note would change when you changed ENGINE speed.

does it do this?

Andy
GDI

Well it 'squeals' in 2nd and disappears when I change up. Dunno if it would disappear after a while if it was kept in 2nd. This only happens first thing in the morning!

What engine is in your motor when was the Timing belt changed.....sounds like a pully belt to me i.e Power steering,Alternator.....Does the noise get louder if you have steering on full lock?

Sorry for being such a dim wit here.
Its a 1.9 TDI, with 115k on the clock, timing belt was done at 70k.

It only happens in the morning, driving out of the estate. I pull out, change into 2nd very soon and it'll make the noise till I change up again. Maybe its something to do with the coldness because if I dont move until the afternoon its fine, it only happens early in the morning.

Its most likley not a fan belt as most are electric nowdays, i think rev-heads right and its most likely the belt that drives the power steering, altenator etc. My V6 omega had the same problem in the mornings, the cold in the morning makes the belt a little harder and less grippy and therefore slips. On my omega it turned out to be the tensioner for the drive belt was getting weak and not the belt itself. Had it replaced (£80+fitting) and it solved it.

I have the same (96 tsport done approx 96k) but nothing to do with changing gear, just revs at idle makes the noise...

only in the mornings as it is cold, garage seems to think it is fine (fanbelt assembly) and will replace it when I have the cambelt changed March 07 as they have to take the front assembly apart...

am I ok to leave it as advised ?