Help with a turbo fault

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I know this is the B5 section but their is not much response in the A6 area, and there is a lot of knowledge here when it comes to turbo's

The car is a 3.0TDI engine and this is what I found when I pulled of the intercooler pipes. The car has done just over 180K

I think the seals have gone on the turbo and would like someone to confirm. So question is am I looking at a new turbo?

There is also another thread where

WP_20140321_006_zps4d902de5.jpg

WP_20140321_007_zpsd16aa554.jpg

This was also the state of one of the inlet manifolds, think soot from the egr and oil mixed together must have caused this.

WP_20140317_001_zpsef0f6eaf.jpg

Yer when you put your foot down it can be a bit smoky, but no blue smoke.

That said, I haven't pulled the pipes off the intercoolers... My inlet manifolds weren't much different from yours tho. EGR blanked, manifolds cleaned, new gaskets and bottom end performance is restored. Open EGR seems to kill low end torque

Would love to kill the EGR, but cannot find a delete kit for my engine + I would need a remap (thinking about that anyway)....

Oil looks normal tbh. It collects at the lowest point, and the pipe probably hasnt been off for years.

The clag in the manifold is typical of most modern dervs, mostly due to EGR.

Thanks for the advice, yer I would say it's never been touched or cleaned in 8 years & 180K.

Would an oil catch can help with this?

It's not bad as it is, give it a clean and stick it back together (that's what I'd do anyway) if it's running right, enjoy it. eBay has loads of EGR plates, there is something you can do to fool the ECU into thinking the EGR is working. Sure I saw it on another thread.

Mine (since the EGR blank) kicks out loads of black smoke if I floor it at low revs, when the turbo starts loading up it's like it's running on coal!! Could just be clearing everything that's built up...?

I would say it was around 150ml on the floor, and the intercoolers where well coated. Everything has now been cleaned/flushed in parts washer fluid, and will just have to keep an eye on thing, however now I know where the oil pools up I may put a drain hole, just drill and tap a hole and put a bolt in, and remove every few months.

Is the car using oil ?, does it rev up on its own or do the revs hang, these can be signs the turbo is on its way out.
A lot of that oil in the intercooler can be from the crankcase ventilation system and isn't actually from the turbo but at 180K it is possibly getting a little tired.

Karl.