TQS track car project - extremely slow progress

Fogs should be gone anyway, its a track car and those are dead weight!

I chopped my bumper bar in situ, not sure if i have any pics of it, will have a look.

You can see the height mines sitting at, and that sits just about as high as it can without having to hack out the top of the bumper, then like you say it would hit the bonnet grille if it went any higher than the bumper. This is why i went with the smaller 560x230 one, as i felt the bigger one (plus the fact the avant still has its AC rad) would have made fitting a real problem.

Thickness of the cooler isnt an issue. Problem is the height. If it doesn't go high enough, piping doesn't clear the bumper at the bottom. Have afternoon off today so will try to work it out.

Getting a bit annoyed with boost/misfiring issue.
- new dv
- new n75
- new hoses from manifold to dv
- new fmic with new complete hoses from turbo and tb to get rid of the leaky IC

Car runs fine when cold even at full throttle. As soon as it reaches temperature it starts to misfire like a *****. I'm starting to think that it isn't boost related.

Could a whistling turbo sound be a Turbo stutter when the engine misfires?

Also would a misfire throw a code? Scanned it again but still clear. Most of the time it happens only under load. 90% of time over 70% throttle.

Got the gasket set for rocker cover but still waiting for sealant. Don't want to fit new plugs before changing gasket because there is too much oil on cylinder 1 plug.

Do an ICM Delete its cheap enough if you go for bolt down 4 pin coils instead of the TFSI coils and adaptors.

If you want i can see what the repair harness comes in at with discount from work think it will be about £25-30 posted then you will just need new plugs and coils.

These are the ones im running, i got 8 for £50 delivered and managed to sell the other 4 on for the same price.

AUDI A6 C5 4.2 V8 COIL PACKS X8 06B905115E | eBay

Got the set of plugs already. NGK PFR6Q.
So what's needed for ICM delete? Is it just coil packs and plugs?
Are there no sets of 4 coil packs?

Got the set of plugs already. NGK PFR6Q.
So what's needed for ICM delete? Is it just coil packs and plugs?
Are there no sets of 4 coil packs?

PSI tuning does 4 brand new coils for £75.

You also need the plugs, either from the scrappy, or by purchasing a repair loom, which PSI Tuning also does for about 25-30quid.

Then you need to solder them in.

Didn't log it yet. Will try to do it tomorrow but with tour de france half of Sheffield is closed.

So for the delete I would need
- coil packs
- new plugs ( different to the ones I have now?)
- repair loom

He means connector plugs for the coils, the spark plugs you need are what you have.

Have a look at this too :-

It really is pretty simple to do and made my car run so much smoother through the rev range and totally wiped out missfires under boost.

Youe are using 4.2 coils. Do you need adapter/spacer for these like you do for 2.0tfsi? Any other coils can be used?

The coils dont need adaptors as there used on some 1.8T TT's anyway, i went this route to do it on a budget think i did it for less than £100 and about an hour or so doing the conversion.

Before even touching the car i snipped all the wiring leaving plenty of free wire and connectors all lined up using a multimeter i labelled the wires with masking tape ask to which pin/cylinder they went to then did the same on the car pulling the wires for the ICM through the loom and then stripped the coil part of the loom labelled the car loom as to were wires were from and then cut leaving plenty of wires to work with once you way up the wiring diagram its pretty straight forward i printed it off as its a lot clearer to work with.

Heres some pics i took when doing mine -

TFSI ones are cheaper than the 1.8T coils and more powerful.

Obviously you can buy used, but i dont see the point when they're only £75 new for a set of 4. Your running the risk of ending up with a faulty set.

I really like the way you've done that with a multiplug. Will have to have a rake around work and see if i can find something suitable.

I may have the connectors at work in my bits and bobs draw as they came in packs of 5.

I could post them then you would just need some pins from peugeot or citroen to suit the connector.

Yeah theres many part numbers but aslong as all 4 coil connectors are there it doesnt matter about oil level sensor but its cheaper from TPS or dealers iirc

You need :-

Repair harness
Coil packs x4 (adapters if using TFSI coils)
Spark plugs (BKR6E or PFRQ6)
Soldering iron/solder or heatsinks

Just realised how stupid I am. Was ****** off for few days because still didn't receive the sealant for rocker cover gasket. Went to ebay today to ask seller if it was posted just to realise that I didn't order one!

Last edited:
Yeh if you have a later 1.8T you dont need to modify the harness, you just fit the adaptors and coils and thats it.

Early ones like ours need the harness modified as bradderz linked above.

You also dont need those expensive metal adaptors. Audi sell them for £2 each :p

So your out £75 for the coils, about 8quid for the adaptors and £25ish for the repair loom.

Reactions: 2.8 30v
Do you have a part number for the spacers by any chance? :)

Get the repair loom without the oil level sensor, its a few quid cheaper IIRC and you dont need the extra connection anyway.

how many pins do you need?

Try searching for "Econoseal" on ebay, there should be others as well but that brand springs to mind.

I'm looking at connecting coil pack wiring with something like that. So I think it is 16 pin because every coil is 4 pin?

There isnt actually 16 pins from memory, just had a look theres only 9 wires 2 per coil and one ground.

And each coil has two main wires i presume 12v and a signal and two grounds but one ground is in the wiring itself and bolts to the valve cover at cylinder one the other ground from harness is spliced and runs to the rear of the valve cover which i think is originally for the ICM now this wire is thicker than the other 8 so you need a connector that has the terminals to take the little 8 12v/signal wires and 1 ground.

Oh and my connector isnt waterproof but i doubt it will get wet that far up and i never jet wash the engine bay and i dont intend on thrashing it threw a river :p

Had couple of hours of time after work. Sealant arrived and managed to pick up cover from coating.

Gave the engine a bit of a clean with degreaser. Changed the rocker cover gasket and it now looks like this :)

When I took the timing belt top cover off, I ve noticed that the belt looks like it is touching somewhere the cover.
The top one doesn't have any marks on it though so think I might have to pull the front and check the bottom cover. Or am I paranoid and belt looks like that?
20140709_183640_zpszjknqrer.jpg
[/URL]

Also been looking for a while for a decent compressor on ebay. Yesterday found a pretty much unused clarke one still with warranty. Made a £60 offer which was accepted :) Not bad for a £130 new one.

When it comes to the connectors for coil packs, they don't need to be waterproof. If I need only 8-9 pins, it shouldn't be difficult to find something for it. Just need to sit down and work out how this wiring should be connected as I am a bit confused about ground wires.

Last edited:
First things first dont cut any wires.

Start by laying the repair harness on the valve cover then remove the conduit at the back of the head on the repair harness. Then cut the harness leaving enough wire length to play with. Using a multi meter establish which wire goes to which coil i labeled them 'pin 1 coil 1' etc

When all your wires are labelled strip back the AJL harness the wires that feed back from the ICM to coils are not needed find the harness to ICM wires and using the wire diagram above label the ICM wires as to which pin/coil they go to on the new harness you should then have 8 wires and 1 ground at each harness end. Then just pin them up in a connector to the right pins.

Reactions: slepy
Do you know how thick are the wires on repair loom?

Ahh so the ebay connectors won't work. They are up to 1.5mm.

Fitted new plugs and coilpacks with spacers yesterday.
There was more oil on 3rd cylinder spark plug than the first one.
Need to sort out wiring tomorrow after work.

Reactions: Bradderz_1988
This might sound like a daft question but which coil is number one? Closest to firewall or radiator?