I recently brought a audi a4 b5 1.8 1999 143k, its running nicely but has a few issues I am hoping you will be able to help with.
1) Windscreen fogging up and car smelling of coolant - the blowers work well, really warm. From reading around I guess there is a small leak in the heater core. Does this have to be replaced or would something like k seal work?
2) Lose of power on the low end of the revs - hard to explain but sometimes when I am in a gear and have slowed down so the car is basically driving on tick over but have not pressed the clutch and go to set off again, I'll put my foot down and nothing will happen for at least 1 second. There was oil on one of the spark plugs so today I cleaned them and replaced the valve cover gasket but its still doing it.
3) Idle - when I slow down the revs do odd things, if i am rolling in neutral to a stop they will stay at 1500-2000rpm until I am stopped then they come down but hunt around a bit.
3) Central locking. The car only came with one key that doesn't have any buttons. It has central locking but i am not sure about REMOTE central locking. I don't want to buy a key with buttons until I am sure the car has remote central locking!
4) Coolant has a little bit of oil in it but has not turned muddy - I think there could be a leak in the oil cooler gasket....