Newbie with a audi a4 B5 1999 - few issues!

iturner15

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently brought a audi a4 b5 1.8 1999 143k, its running nicely but has a few issues I am hoping you will be able to help with.

1) Windscreen fogging up and car smelling of coolant - the blowers work well, really warm. From reading around I guess there is a small leak in the heater core. Does this have to be replaced or would something like k seal work?

2) Lose of power on the low end of the revs - hard to explain but sometimes when I am in a gear and have slowed down so the car is basically driving on tick over but have not pressed the clutch and go to set off again, I'll put my foot down and nothing will happen for at least 1 second. There was oil on one of the spark plugs so today I cleaned them and replaced the valve cover gasket but its still doing it.

3) Idle - when I slow down the revs do odd things, if i am rolling in neutral to a stop they will stay at 1500-2000rpm until I am stopped then they come down but hunt around a bit.

3) Central locking. The car only came with one key that doesn't have any buttons. It has central locking but i am not sure about REMOTE central locking. I don't want to buy a key with buttons until I am sure the car has remote central locking!

4) Coolant has a little bit of oil in it but has not turned muddy - I think there could be a leak in the oil cooler gasket....

Cheers all

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Lots of info in the faqs thread. Im sure the guys will be along to advise you as well. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Point 1is a leaking heater matrix. K seal is not recommended and if you did use it it won't work for long.
The other fins will break down and leak in the end.

3, yeah it will have remote central locking being that age.

1) heater matrix

2/3) throttle body alignment, air leak, check for codes, check pipe work, disconnect maf see if it runs any better.

4) new remote and coding

5) oil cooler, headgasket

Do a compression test and pressure test then go from there

I've seen a video of a heater matrix being changed in s4 and they took the whole dash out! I can't be bothered with that lol :( car is so old and was so cheap its not worth imo.

Will check for air leaks etc didn't think of that. I have a cheap obd2 code reader but it says link error during scanning. do i need something special to read codes?

Hoping its not the head gasket, (really, really hoping) oil looks fine (other than it sometimes has bubbles in it)

What does coding a new key involve? Ie can i do it myself?

You need vagtacho to code keys

Oil on mine sometimes has bubbles in it now and again when hot

Code reader - ebay vagcom lead and software

Heater matrix is a dash out you could try k seal but thats just a pikey fix or you could pipe it out but thats just pikey aswel lol

I've seen a few people suggesting piping it out, I guess that would mean no hot air to the cabin though won't it? Would be ok for summer though lol

They have a viscous fan thats constantly on as is driven of the alt belt iirc and an electric fan that comes on when a/c is switched on (econ light off)