1.6 auto shutting off in traffic/junction

wingzero25

Reaction score
Occasionally my car switches off when in traffic or slowing at a junction, I feel as though it's idle related but could be others, could someone give me a list of possible things to check for? I've also noticed when I sometimes depress the gas pedal it doesn't move back with my foot but a small tap and then it moves back. The rev meter is a bit jumpy when this happens.

im not clued up on the 1.6 engine in these but will try and help.
have you had the car scanned for codes? ( I know its mostly what folk first ask but it can point you in the right direction)
check for air leaks vacuum leaks.
when was the car last serviced? was the plugs changed?
has this engine got an idle control valve? you could try giving it a clean

The dealer stated the previous owner serviced it every mot so last service would be September 2013, haven't had it scanned yet. I did some snooping today around the air intake, throttle body etc, I noticed under the air filter cover some plugs, one that caught my eye was a Sagem gadget with a broken hose, no idea what the device is and could potentially be the problem. I've noticed today the gas pedal sometimes pushes itself down a little but jumps back almost straight away.

I was playing around with the cruise control stick because it looked loose & floppy, twisted the stalk tighter potentially broken it as there is no more resistance, funny enough the idle seems better and the gas pedal doesn't have a mind of its own anymore.