JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oranoco

Thread: bulbs

Neutral

Status

bulbs

hi this might sound like a stupid question but what bulbs does a a4 b5 facelift take. i wanna upgrade side, dipped, main, fogs and indicators.

cheers
    oscar the grouch

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Philips extreme vision H7 bulbs are the best in Auto Express tests, they will go in dip, main and fogs. Wouldn't bother with the side lights, if they're too blue they'll fail an mot. When you say 'upgrade indicators' standard bulbs are as good as any LED bulbs. Personally I wouldn't waste money on fancy bulbs. I don't know how good the HID headlamp conversions are on these, but if you decide to try it, don't go for the highest K rating, 8000K is very blue, daylight is around 4700-5300K to get whiter light.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sidelights - 501
    Dipped,main and front fog - H7
    Indicators - Front 581, Rear 382

I've got Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs on the dipped beam and they're brilliant, same goes for Cree LED 501 as sidelights.

Hope that helps!

Neutral

Status
    Ok cheers both of you looks like ive got a weekend of changing bulbs then lol

Neutral

Status
    Do i want 55w or 100w h7s?

Reverse Gear

Status
    100w bulbs are apparently much brighter but can come with the danger of melting wiring/headlight housing due to the heat! Also, they might not play well with the car's bulb detection. Personally, I'd stick with standard 55w.

Neutral

Status
    Ok cheers

6th Gear

Status
    Facelift headlamps means projectors, personally I would fit a 35w HID kit (4300k to 6000k colour temp) Led sidelights and Osram Nightbreakers in the mains.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

Neutral

Status
    Does that mean h7s wont fit?

Reverse Gear

Status
    No, the HID kit will be H7 too.
    2001 A4 Avant (B5) SE 1.9 TDI PD

1st Gear

Status
    Those HID kits, do they give a proper beam pattern? I've not found any real info which says yes or no. On some cars they just fire light in all directions and cause dazzle

Reverse Gear

Status
    Beam patterns come from the projectors themselves, clear cut off points, no need to worry, as long as you don't have reflector headlamps light won't scatter, I also have a facelift with projectors. Just have the alignment checked once fitted. I'm awaiting the arrival of HIDs next week H7 6Ks, already changed my main/fogs to pure yellow ones, though I will be changing my fogs & sidelights to CREE LEDs soon to match the 6Ks.

1st Gear

Status
    That's good, so assuming the beams are set, it should pass an MOT? My car due MOT in April, so I'll check with the tester see what his POV is. He's pretty strict, but I like the car to be just right anyway. He'll be surprised to see yet another set of front arms ha ha, last three MOT's it's had arm kit replaced on warranty (Locheed Delphi, don't do it!!) Meyle HD kit going on this time.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The projector is designed around the lamp fitted.

A halogen projector is quite different to a HID one, though they may look the same externally at a casual glance.

You will still get some scatter and glare when using a converted halogen projector, but typically not as bad as when used in a reflector headlamp. The light output will also be nowhere near as good as a proper HID projector, because the HID projector is designed to work with more light, and thus spreads it out much further, lighting more of the road.

The only fully legitimate way to do it, is to use proper Audi HID headlamps from an S4. Alternatively, you can retrofit HID projectors into your existing headlamps, converting them to take the correct D2S HID lamps and giving you optics designed for the job. Like most things though, no-one wants to do it properly, because it costs more, so you end up with bodged up crap from ebay. The fact that one single proper branded Osram or Philips HID lamp costs the same as an entire kit of parts from ebay should ring alarm bells, but folk dont care and nail the ****e on anyway.

Furthermore, many folk use "passing the MOT" as some sort of proof that their bodged up crap is somehow safe and legal. However the MOT testers simply dont care. Theres nothing in the MOT handbook that says you cant use converted headlamps (though its illegal as far as the construction and use regs go) so theres nothing they can actaully fail you on so long as the beam pattern looks right.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    That's good enough for me then, I did think about getting the S4 headlamps. I hate those 8000k efforts, too blue, and actually less light, standard daylight 5000k is the way to go with any bulb

2nd Gear

Status
    I've been using this 55w 6000k kit not blue
    XENON HID CONVERSION KIT H1, H3,H7, HB3 9005 6000k/8000k 55W | eBay
    A4 1.8T Quattro sport
    A6 2.4 Avant SE

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Proper genuine D2S HID lamps are 4300k.

6th Gear

Status
    Sorry aragorn, you are a clever chap and clearly know your Audi stuff but you really do overplay the HID conversion argument. I'm a lighting engineer and can assure you the retrofit HID kit in my halogen projectors performs vastly better than the halogen lamps that were in originally have a perfectly acceptable beam pattern and cut off. It's not a bodge or fitting ****e, just a sensible cost effective improvement over what the factory gave us. I'm sure a proper conversion fitting all the OE parts would perform better but I doubt any of us can justify the outlay required to do this. I would never advocate fitting HID conversions to a reflector type unit or dangerous modifications but most of us have to weigh up cost against performance when modifying.

Life begins at 140mph
    www.passionford.com

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Its a "pet hate" of mine, and i see plenty of cars driving past with converted HID's including those in halogen projectors, and 99% of the time they cause additional glare. Try meeting one coming the other way on a dark country road and you'll see my point.

Factory HID cars manage to ride the very fine line between "bright" and "glare" by using carefully designed projectors as well as levelling and washing systems to ensure the lights are always aimed the right way and clean to minimise dazzle. This cannot be achieved by jamming a kit into a halogen headlamp. Though i agree that with care, and with a lighting engineer behind the wheel who is fully aware of the situation and properly uses all the supplied controls you might end up with a somewhat satisfactory solution, its far from what most normal car drivers would do. And thus the general advice must simply be "dont do it".

Now you could argue that its simply bad alignment or whatever, and maybe it is, but its all wrapped up in the same idea of "lets nail some HID's in my standard headlamps and give myself amazing lights" with no thaughts to the consequences, problems etc that this then causes.

At the moment the law on these is pretty lax and folk get away with it. Properly legislating to ban these horrible conversions however would end up cracking down to the point where even properly designed systems wouldnt be allowed because they werent factory fit. Unfortunately thats whats going to eventually happen, because these kits are freely available for any idiot to jam into their cars.

Being a lighting engineer, i could just imagine your reaction if a colleague suggested you jury rig a HPS lamp and ballast into a fluro batten with some cable ties, or jamming metal halide lamp and ballast into a 500w halogen floodlamp... You'd no doubt tell them to fk off and buy a fitting designed for the job right?

1st Gear

Status
    Have to agree the point about additional glare, the number of Corsa, Civic and other 'hot' hatches with bright blue lights throwing light in all directions.... You see when they are behind a van there's absolutely no beam pattern.
    Mis-aligned headlamps of any type are my pet hate, next to rear fog lights on when there's no fog.
    Perhaps with the projector beam type the glare should be better controlled, either way there's no excuse for not checking beam alignment after fitting a different type of bulb.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Yeh HID's in reflector headlamps are simply horrific.

Projectors are significantly better, but they're still not as good as the real thing.

6th Gear

Status
    Funny that following this discussion I have just been followed by a clot in a Smart car with headlights verging on purple that were dazzling even in the bright sunshine. Morons like that really boil my piss.

Life begins at 140mph
    www.passionford.com

Neutral

Status
    In my car I have ring automotine xenon ultima h7 they are a brilliant bulb 12.50 of eBay