Glowplug warning light / no rev response

Catherinee

Reaction score
Hoping one of you can give me some advice about what might be wrong with my car (A4 avant 1.9 tdi diesel).

About a week ago I drove onto the road and started up the hill. Immediately I noticed a very poor response to the accelerator. I coasted back down the lane and drove up the drive. After a quick call to hubbie overseas, I started the car up again but there was zero response from the accelerator.

The glowplug light was on (the curly symbol - not the light I have to wait to go off before starting up the engine, which we call a glowplug but is probably called a heater plug or something).

Hubbie had a shufty on t'internet as asked me to check the brakelights were working. They were, but that reminded that when I cleaned out the boot the day before that the stuff I had in the little compartment behind the lights was sopping wet - water had got in somehow - might be coincidence.

Just now, was about to arrange garage to collect car - gave it one last try and presto, it's revving up a treat. But I would be nervous driving it in case the same loss of power occurred.

Sorry for the rambling post - I'm not good with cars, so hope I've explained it properly.

Anybody any idea what the problem was/is.

Sounds like it's waterlogged somewhere. More likely under the scuttle panel and around the ecu.

Get it scanned for faults, there is a vcds map on this site there may be a member local to you that can scan it for you.

Welcome Catherine
as posted above the car would need scanned for fault codes.
Ive had the heater light flashing before on 4 occasions one it was a wiring problem, brake light switch, needle sensor on the injector and the other one was the fuel pump..

so a few things to ask..
what year is the car? ( this is to try and determine the engine code )
either that could you have a look at the V5 and you will see engine number could you let us know the first 3 letters of this? it might be AFN if its an early car.

is the front carpet wet at all?

you say the rear pocket behind the lights was wet. which side?

what area are you in? the reason im asking this is if you were local to any members that would maybe pop over and have a quick look or scan the car for you rather than you paying garage bills.

James

So, I discovered why my car was having issues!

It just goes to show that I should have popped the hood up and had a look, even though I know naff all about cars, I know that there isn't supposed to be half a foot of standing water!! The top third of the cavity under the hood (where the battery and ecu is) was flooded with water - I must have got 40 litres out!

I guess the seal is either perishing, or maybe a twig or something got stuck in it last time the hood was up and it has gradually been filling up.

I've baled it all out and mopped it dry, and will leave the hood open for it to get a good air dry. Will take the cover off the ecu and make sure that has no water left in it. I've sent photos to hubbie and he is going to guide me through one or two things.

I'm hoping that it will now all be magically fixed - I'm a great believer in leaving things alone to fix themselves! :laugh:

(PS sorry James, I did answer your questions, but I must not have hit the 'submit' button! I don't live in the UK, btw, I'm a bit out in the sticks, which makes getting things fixed difficult.)

That area is supposed to get water in it, however its supposed to drain out the bottom thru two holes.

These holes get clogged up with silt/leaves/debris and thus it fills up.

You need to remove the battery and its tray and clear out the drains.

Oh, I see. So the drain holes should be below the battery?
I'll get them cleared out today - I know how to remove a battery (one of the few car things I can do!).
Cor, this forum is so helpful! :salute:

I've taken the windscreen arms off and got the cover off the ecu (I felt like a proper mechanic! :sm4: )

There was beads of water/condensation on the top of the unit, which I have dabbed off very gently with kitchen paper.

Here is a photo of the ecu ... the thing in the red casing (with 50 stamped on it) and the thing to it's right (with 80 stamped on it)..... are they some sort of fuse? Should I pull them out and let them have a good dry in the air? Or will that make my car spontaneously combust?! Or wipe some essential data?

Thanks for being so helpful and patient ... I know my questions probably sound moronic!!

I've taken the windscreen arms off and got the cover off the ecu (I felt like a proper mechanic! :sm4: )

There were beads of water/condensation on the top of the unit, which I have dabbed off very gently with kitchen paper.

Here is a photo of the ecu ... the thing in the red casing (with 50 stamped on it) and the thing to it's right (with 80 stamped on it)..... are they some sort of fuse? Should I pull them out and let them have a good dry in the air? Or will that make my car spontaneously combust?! Or wipe some essential data?

Thanks for being so helpful and patient ... I know my questions probably sound moronic!!