A4 B5 steering rack 'clunking' noise and CV joint knocking noises - likely costs?

A4 stu

Reaction score
Audi A4 B5 1.9TDi auto 120k

I took the car to my garage to diagnose some knocking noises.

They identified that the CV joints were, in their words, "just starting to go". The car makes noticeable knocking noises from both sides when moving and steering, particularly when in reverse. I'm waiting for them to get back to me with a price, but what shoulkd the job cost and how much life is there left in them?

They also identified a potential problem with the steering rack and showed me that the steering wheel has play in it and when turning it left to right only about an inch either way there is a definite dull 'clunk' noise suggested to be wear in the knuckle joint (I think that is what was described).

I am told to replace the steering rack is quite a job on the B5. On checking ebay the cheapest new rack I have seen is £175 so I am assuming that the labour cost is going to be at least that again plus VAT?

Stu

Not sure in cv's but with the steering there are inner and outer track rod ends that can be changed without removing the rack

Don't know for sure if it's the same cv joint, but I have a 1.9tdi one in my garage (bought in error when I needed an extra one for my 2.5) it's a J&R same as the two I put on my car. Don't know where you are (I'm in Perth) if you can use it, you're welcome

Thank you for the offers of parts but I am awaiting to see what/when needs changing before I take/purchase anything.

It would seem from my research that replacement CV joints shouldn't cost that much to buy and fit but if the rack does need replacing then that's going to be the expensive job?

Stu.

CV joints are easy enough to replace and don't involve having to remove the dreaded pinch bolt on the strut. Car can be raised, remove splined bolts on inner joints at transmission, turn steering to hard lock to remove the drive shaft. I used to use GKN Driveline boots but they were deteriorating within 2 years, so opt for genuine Audi part instead. You'll need need hub bolts, etc.

I'd look at inner tie rods before condemning the steering rack. Regards the suspension, then Meyle HD arms are the business, come with 4 years warranty. Do the front ARB bushes while you're there. One important tip with the suspension arms - is torque them when car is on ground. Same goes for hub bolt.

This is an excellent link regards DIY rack replacement. AudiWorld Tech Articles

I'm only a few mins from Perth Audi, so I'll give Chris in 'Parts' a shout then, be nice to not have to go into front suspension again after the bolts are tight, been at it every year for last three because I was stupid and bought Delphi kit!