The dreaded ABS light

Loubylou

Reaction score
Hi all, after a few months off my feet after surgery I have started work on my car (1.8TQS Avant) again. Sorted the speedo out, exhaust and full service. Now after getting everything sorted the ABS light started intermittently beeping and lighting up the dash. This would be on for seconds then go off. It would happen when there was a heavy load in the back. But he rest of the time nothing, now it's on all the time. Initially told rear passenger sensor, this has been changed. Light still on and VAG unable to read the ABS system. Could this be the module? How would I find the code for the module and how can I find out exactly what is going on if it can't be read? Thanks for your help. Lou x

Unfortunately does sounds like the pump due to the comms block. There is a fuse under the dash? That may be worth checking first. People seem to get hit and miss results with second hand units, so might be worth getting yours fixed?

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at the fuse. Is it easy to repair or do I need to send it off? Sorry for all the questions. 😊

Hopefully this will be the last of it as it's MOT time in 2 weeks. Been non stop repairs and niggles. Love the car though so that makes everything ok! Thanks for your help. :)

Just out of interest has anyone else had abs faults due to burnt spots on abs fuses?

Not the fuse so not me! Still waiting to hear if it can be fixed. If it can't be repaired, how do I find the correct module/ code to fit? Would any B5 facelift model be compatible or does it need to be model specific? Thanks again xx

model specific ish.

just get the part number off the unit and get one with the same number.

Most Quattros without ESP from around 97-2000 use the same pump.

Thank you, getting a bit stressy as close to MOT time and still not resolved! Hopefully have a diagnosis tomorrow. Keeping everything crossed. Thanks again x

I have changed mine twice in the 14 years that I have had my Audi S4. you can change the module on the side of the ABS pump with out removing the pump from the car. give me the part number on the black peace that the wiring plugs into..

As soon as he gives me a ring I will ask him to give me the code. I have the one on the silver piece on top. Thank you xx
I have changed mine twice in the 14 years that I have had my Audi S4. you can change the module on the side of the ABS pump with out removing the pump from the car. give me the part number on the black peace that the wiring plugs into..

This is the code he has given to me. 0265 220 408 - 8E0 614 111 A hopefully I won't be needing a module but at least I have the codes if it has all gone Pete tong! Thanks xx

ABS pump gone off for repair, fingers crossed it is fixable. Once it's through the MOT I might be looking to sell or part ex for diesel Quattro. Will be commuting around 100 miles a day from April. Not sure yet though as I have plans for her. See what happens or if a reasonable offer arises. Thanks for all your help

had a diognosics guy out to turn my abs light out its coming up ground46 rekons its a faulty wire going to the rear left I checked both ends from sensor to the pump and all seems good,totaly cheesed off with this abs light and I need mot my car does anybody know how to permantly turn this abs light off even if dash has to come out,cheers

Mine wouldn't allow VAG into ABS system, all sensors ok wiring ok and power to the pump. All symptoms I had and everything else ok pointed to module. Can't wait to have her back incase I have to part with her in April, want to make the most of her whilst I can! Not sure how or if lights can be turned off without problem being found or fixed. X

so you still aint got your motor back from the garage for the abs fault?,my brake system is fine to I acuatally changed the front sensors and give up on the back as the star keys were rounded but diognostics guy said theres no faults with them.looks like its clocks out and blue tak over the bulb,cant believe something as stupid as a abs light is stopping my car from getting a mot,should of kept my vr6

The module has gone for repair, 48hrs post 3-5 working days to fix then 48hrs post :( has had the rest of its niggles put right whilst there so MOT as soon as it arrives back. Mine has a huge red exclamation mark in the pixelated bit and orange ABS light on. Think MOT stations check light sequence on start up to check for the old trick of tape/blue tack/bulb removal. Not 100% sure though. It's a pain when there isn't anything wrong with the braking system and everything else is in good working order but just because the computer says no the car fails an MOT. ****** things!!