Four bleeps

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have a 1999 A4 2.8 30V Quattro Tiptronic. Recently, it has begun to emit a four-bleep audible warning when I first start the engine. It only happens occasionally, and there's no discernible pattern to it. I've checked the owner's manual, & there's a section on the Check Control Panel that refers to one-bleep & three-bleep warnings, depending on how serious they are. But all of these are accompanied by visible warnings on the dashboard graphics panel. This one is just four bleeps, and nothing else, no flashing lights, no graphics, nothing.

I'm mystified. Anyone got any ideas?

Jeff

Do all your standard warning lights work? i.e. do they all come on when you turn the ignition on?
Maybe the 4 bleeps is a warning to tell you that one of your warning lights is blown. There should really be a warning light to tell you if your warning lights are blown.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Do all your standard warning lights work? i.e. do they all come on when you turn the ignition on?
Maybe the 4 bleeps is a warning to tell you that one of your warning lights is blown. There should really be a warning light to tell you if your warning lights are blown.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is, but it's blown.

thought so, what about the warning light for the warning light for the warning lights?

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
thought so, what about the warning light for the warning light for the warning lights?

[/ QUOTE ]

It hasn't got one, it's a delete option.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif No idea what it means but I have the same problem. As you describe it only happens occasionally. I know it's coming from the alarm sounder in the boot but that's all I know. I did ask an Audi dealer but they said bring it in for diags. I won't bother because it obviously beeps for a reason (are the four beeps not it's own diagnostics??) which means the dealer doesn't know what it means either...

[ QUOTE ]
Speedy said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif No idea what it means but I have the same problem. As you describe it only happens occasionally. I know it's coming from the alarm sounder in the boot but that's all I know. I did ask an Audi dealer but they said bring it in for diags. I won't bother because it obviously beeps for a reason (are the four beeps not it's own diagnostics??) which means the dealer doesn't know what it means either...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I appreciate that, Speedy. I know I'm none the wiser, but I do feel better knowing its not just me.

I posted something last month about this and am still trying to find out what it is. Always 4 beeps and intermittent, all warning lights work etc, and everthing tip top.

Car about to go in for service so will ask and see what they say.

Toby

[ QUOTE ]
A418QTS said:
Hi Jeff, Car is going in tomorrow for 30k Inspection and service. I mentioned the "Beeps" to the bloke on the phone @ HWM and got a silence on the phone!! - suprise. They are going to find out what this noise is. They are also going to try and work out why one of my tappetts gets noisy when sitting in traffic - a really loud tick tick tick from the engine - he reckons that one of the hydraulic tappetts has lost pressure and could mean replacement of them all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif - if this is the case i will be talking to Audi as the car has low mileage and isn't thrashed. - will keep you posted.

Toby

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Toby, I really appreciate that. I'm sorry to hear about the business with the tappets, though. I hope it works out OK. Yours is a 1.8T, isn't it?

JEFF

Only just read this thread, but is the beeping coming from the boot area when locking and unlocking the car?
If so, could be due to the battery in the alarm siren starting to fail. May require a new siren.
Hope it helps even if i'm so late!

i took out my concert radio yesterday and this morning 4 beeps came from the boot!!Jeff have you got a standard ice set up or aftermarket? also what noise does the alarm make on audi's?sirens

I've got the standard Concert system, with no extra or mods. I think the alarm on my car just makes a high pitched beeping noise rather than a siren as such.

Hi All, Now married and back from hols.... my ****** car was silent for weeks and then the other day it bleeped!!

I have no idea what the problem is, Audi don't seem to know either! The alarm sound is rather odd - gone are the days off the "Moss" alarm system from Halfords that seemed to go off if someone breathed near your car!! - always made a horrific noise. My guess is some kind of EU legislation on noisy alarm sirens these days...

Toby

Jeff,
My 99' A4 Avant has just started with the bleeping thing! Intermittent occurence first occasion two weeks ago four bleeps from the back. Sounds like alarm resetting. I have a really helpful dealer so will get plugged into VAG.com or tap up his knowledge and let you know outcome.
MRG

Ok down to local Audi dealer at weekend. Four bleeps come from the alarm system. For those who don't know alarm system/module (I'm told) is combined with central locking pump (pneumatic system). O/S rear behind panels above and behind rear wheel. One of the most regularly replaced units in Audis!

Solution - well it's simple wait for system to fail then replace. Apx. cost £280. If it's going to go let's hope it does before my warranty runs out!

MRG

mine did it once...the only time I left it out overnight. It happened to drop to -10 that night, so I just figured it was protesting such shabby treatment.

That was the day after my TB change & 90K service...the nerve of that car!

The resurrection of the Four Bleeps post!!!

My 99 1.8T Sport has started doing this in the last 3 weeks!!!

I've read through all of the above posts but no-one seemed to have the absolute answer at the time.

Anyone now??

Arghhhh! Time to resurrect this one again! I'm getting four beeps now every morning... just as you guys are describing, from the back of the car somewhere.

I have 2 days of warranty left!!!

I have booked it in for tomorrow morning... reckon they'll believe me? Are these beeps logged as DTC's?

its a battery in the central locking pump which is going low mine did that now the beeping has gone. happend allot when i jump started my bros car. i

madvw said:
Arghhhh! Time to resurrect this one again! I'm getting four beeps now every morning... just as you guys are describing, from the back of the car somewhere.

I have 2 days of warranty left!!!

I have booked it in for tomorrow morning... reckon they'll believe me? Are these beeps logged as DTC's?

Mad, If its anything like the S3 then the beeps will be the backup battery for the alarm.

well, they couldn't find any DTC's, but replaced it anyway. So i guess thats another £500 out of the warranty...

however, they did manage to lose a bung from my engine cover, and snap an engine cover screw!!! anyone know if these can be bought separately?